When you’re looking for a healthy low-carb or keto meal packed full of flavor, this Roasted Cast Iron Chicken paired with sauteed spinach & mushrooms is a perfect idea!
This is a simple chicken dinner preparation that appears on my dinner table at least one night a week. I’m not sure what the actual secret is as to why food tastes so great when cooked in cast iron skillets, but I like it a lot!
Combining the texture and moisture from the chicken quarters along with the great flavors from the fresh vegetables (and mushrooms), you’ll feel a lot less guilty for eating something that tastes this great.
When making the Roasted Cast Iron Chicken:
- In order for the chicken to have your taste buds dancing it has to be juicy — and not overcooking it will contribute to that.
- You’ll want to pan fry the chicken in the cast iron skillet first before placing it in the oven to continue to cook. This ensures the chicken skin “fat” renders all the way down and is still crispy after baking. Once evenly seasoned and you have good crispiness on the skin, the oven will do the rest.
- Fresh spinach does not go a long way and although it seems as though you are making enough for a family of 6, it may only feed two people, literally. 🙂
For those that are cautious of the number of calories you’re taking in, this Roasted Cast Iron Chicken will certainly prove to be right on time. It is also perfect to enjoy as leftovers — well, that is if there is any left!
Here are a few more chicken recipes to check out:
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Simply Fried Chicken Wings
- Juicy Chicken Parmesan
- Creamy Cast Iron Tuscan Chicken
- Sicilian Chicken & Spinach Saute
- Curry Chicken & Mushroom Risotto
- General Tso’s Chicken & Broccoli
- Creamed Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
When you’re looking for a healthy low-carb or keto meal packed full of flavor, this Roasted Cast Iron Chicken paired with sauteed spinach & mushrooms is the perfect idea.
- 2 Whole Chicken Quarters
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 tsp. Organic Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic
For spinach and sauce:
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup Sherry Cooking Wine
- 1/3 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp. Organic Ground White Pepper
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 3/4 tsp. Ground Thyme
- 4 oz. Fresh White Mushrooms
- 10 oz. Fresh Leaf Spinach
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat and add 3 tbsp of butter.
- Season chicken with sea salt, turmeric, and paprika then add 1/2 tsp of the minced garlic into the heated pan. Add chicken quarters and brown the skin side for 7 minutes then the backside for 5 minutes. Once done, remove chicken from the stovetop and set aside.
- Remove most of the excess liquid from the pan and add the other 2 tbsp of butter. Add 1 tbsp of minced garlic, sherry cooking wine, white pepper and chicken stock to pan and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add heavy whipping cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, ground thyme, and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add fresh spinach and garlic powder. Allow the spinach to cook for 2 additional minutes or until wilted.
- Place the chicken quarters back into the pan with ingredients with the skin side up and remove from heat. Place pan into a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool then serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 920
- Fat: 25.1
Keywords: chicken, roasted chicken, chicken and spinach