Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts with Honey-Balsamic Glaze is the perfect side dish for any occasion. Perfectly roasted and slightly charred sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts tossed in a sweet and tangy glaze --- this recipe certainly takes your typical roasted veggies up a notch!
There are so many great things to say about sweet potatoes and combining them with freshly roasted Brussels Sprouts makes this dish very intriguing. Before making this recipe, I never thought to combine to two.
Growing up, Brussels Sprouts were a no go for me and I would sit at the table all night refusing to eat them; well, until I was forced to do so. Now that I'm an adult I can't get enough of them --- especially when they are roasted with a slight char. Roasting is one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh vegetables.
The glue that brings these two veggies together in sweet harmony is the honey-balsamic sauce that quickly turns into a tasty glaze after a few minutes in the oven. It's a simple mix of balsamic vinegar, raw unfiltered honey, cinnamon, and turmeric. It really brings out the flavor in both the Brussels Sprouts and sweet potatoes.
Who doesn't love sweet and tangy?
How sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts are great for your well-being:
Sweet potatoes are highly nutritious and are great for brain health and for your immune system. Brussels Sprouts are high in antioxidants, help with the fight against cancer, and reduce inflammation. With these two tasty vegetables together you not only benefit from the great taste but you also get to reap the health benefits as well. Balsamic vinegar has quite a few benefits too like reducing sugar levels, lowering cholesterol, and aiding in weight loss.
The ingredients you'll need to roast your vegetables and create the glaze:
- Medium-sized cubes of Sweet Potatoes
- Halved fresh Brussels Sprouts
- Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil to lightly drizzle on the veggies before roasting
- Balsamic Vinegar to make the honey-balsamic glaze
- Raw Unfiltered Honey also used to make the honey-balsamic glaze
- Ground Cinnamon to give the veggies that spiced-up flavor
- I put Ground Turmeric in everything because of the health benefits but is a flavor-enhancer in itself; especially when combined with pepper
How to roast your sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts:
You'll start by removing the skin from your sweet potato using a potato peeler. You'll then cut the sweet potato in half and into small cubes. Cut your Brussels Sprouts in halves and remove the bottom stem.
Place both vegetables evenly on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper then lightly coat them with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
While sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts are baking, add your honey-balsamic sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Cook the sauce in a small cooking pot on low heat for 10 minutes.
Add your roasted veggies into a large bowl and pour the sauce over them ensuring each piece gets coated well. Place the vegetables back on the baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for an additional 5 minutes to allow that nice glaze to form. You can serve this immediately once done.
This is a great family dish that even the kids will love --- even if they are not fond of even hearing the word "Brussels sprout". The sweet and tangy flavor of these roasted vegetables will bring everyone into the family huddle for this play call (yep, I'm always dropping football speak 🙂 ).
When you want to make sure the family gets a nutritious side dish, give this Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts with Honey-Balsamic Glaze a spot on the table and they will surely enjoy it!
Here are a few more tasty side dishes to try!
- Creamy Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Carrot Soufflé
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Korean-Style Glazed Mushrooms
- Quick & Easy Creamed Spinach
- Southern Creamed Corn
- Parmesan Crusted Asparagus Spears
- Instant Pot Cajun White Beans
- Southern Red Beans & Rice
Perfectly roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts tossed in honey-balsamic glaze --- this tasty side dish recipe takes your roasted veggies up a notch!
- 2 Whole Sweet Potatoes
- 16 oz. Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- ½ tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Extra-virgin Olive Oil
For the Honey Balsamic Glaze:
- ¾ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp Raw Unfiltered Honey
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Turmeric
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the skin from the sweet potatoes then cut into medium-sized cubes. Cut Brussels Sprouts into halves and remove the hard stem.
- Place on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper then top off with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, add all glaze ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Cook in a small cooking pan for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Place vegetables into a large bowl and coat with honey balsamic glaze then mix together before adding them back to the baking sheet to roast for an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Add 1 tablespoon of honey if you are aiming for mildly sweet and 2 tablespoons for a sweeter glaze.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 219mg
- Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 24.3g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Roasted Sweet Potatoes, roasted Brussels Sprouts, Vegetables with Honey-Balsamic Glaze, Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts with Honey-Balsamic Glaze