Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is a classic side dish loaded with broccoli and rice, blended in a creamy sauce, and topped with lots of sharp cheese.
With the holiday season just around the corner, a lot of us are searching for recipe ideas that everyone can enjoy. My children hate the idea of eating their veggies but mixing broccoli and cheese together is a great way to compromise.
Plus, who doesn’t love broccoli and cheese?
At the core of the flavors that come by way of this dish are the onions, minced garlic, and broccoli. The glue that brings it all together is the combination of the cream of chicken soup, cream of broccoli, and of course, the buttery rice
How to Make Brocolli & Cheese Casserole:
- This recipe starts with the rice. I personally enjoy Jasmine rice. It’s a long-grain that results in a soft and sticky texture. It does well at “soaking up” all the cheeses and creams in this recipe.
- After cooking your rice according to the instructions on the packaging, set it to the side.
- Warm your cooking pot to medium heat and add in your butter and garlic.
- If you didn’t purchase pre-chopped onions, chop a whole onion into small pieces then add to the pot along with your broccoli. You can use frozen broccoli for this recipe.
- Season the ingredients with sea salt and cook covered for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the cooked rice and all remaining ingredients (except for 1 cup of shredded cheese that will go over the top).
- Mix the ingredients well by folding them together until blended.
- Spread your ingredients evenly into a baking pan ensuring the top of the rice and broccoli mixture is smooth.
- Top off your dish with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Side note: I have gotten in the habit lately of chopping my own ingredients again. Once my wife purchased my first food processor, I was a kid in a candy store. What was I doing before??
The cherry that tops this casserole off is nothing other than cheese. My motto — the more cheese the bigger the smiles on everyone’s face! Want to impress at your next holiday gathering? Try bringing this Broccoli and Cheese Casserole to the party, sit back, and watch the joy happen.
Here are a few more side dish recipes you might enjoy:
- Creamy Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Carrot Soufflé
- Southern Creamed Corn
- Quick & Easy Creamed Spinach
- Southern Red Beans & Rice
This Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is a holiday classic in my home. It’s really simple to make and everyone always goes back for seconds!
- 2 cups Jasmati Rice
- 16 oz Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 10 oz. Condensed Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 10 oz. Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese Shredded
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Start by cooking the rice as instructed and set to side.
- Pre-heat pot to medium heat, add 1 tbsp of butter and minced garlic. Add onion and broccoli to pot, season with sea salt and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- In large bowl add cooked rice, broccoli and all remaining ingredients (except for 1 cup of cheddar cheese). Fold all ingredients together until blended well.
- Add mixed ingredients to baking pan, smooth the top so its even and top with remaining cheese.
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees and cook dish for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Southern
- Calories: 439
- Fat: 32.4g
Keywords: Broccoli and Cheese Casserole, Casserole