Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is a classic side dish loaded with broccoli and tender rice, blended in creamy condensed soups, and topped with various cheeses. I’ve been serving this popular side dish for Thanksgiving and other family gatherings for longer than I can remember, and it’s still a crowd favorite!
With the holiday season just around the corner, many of us are searching for recipe ideas that everyone can enjoy. And if your table is anything like mine, it is filled to the brim with sides. Perfect to be served with any main course or entree, a cheesy casserole will never steer you in the wrong direction.
And since my kids despise the idea of eating their veggies, mixing broccoli and cheese together is a great way to compromise. Plus, who doesn’t love broccoli and cheese?
The core of the flavors that come by way of this dish is the onions, minced garlic, and seasonings. And the glue that brings it all together is the combination of the tender rice, condensed soups like cream of chicken broccoli and cream of celery, and of course, broccoli.
How to Make Broccoli & Cheese Casserole:
- This recipe starts with the rice. I personally enjoy Jasmine rice. It’s a long-grain rice that results in a soft and sticky texture. It does well at “soaking up” all the cheeses and creams in this recipe. After cooking your rice according to the instructions on the packaging, set it to the side. This casserole is perfect for a larger crowd.
- Warm your pot to medium heat and add butter and garlic. If you didn’t purchase pre-chopped onions, chop a small white onion into small pieces (this should be about 1/2 cup), then add to the pot with your broccoli. You can use frozen broccoli for this recipe. Season the ingredients with sea salt and cook covered for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked rice and all remaining ingredients (except for 1 cup of shredded cheese that will go over the top). Mix the ingredients well by folding them together until blended.
- Spread your ingredients evenly into a large casserole dish , ensuring the top of the rice and broccoli mixture is smooth. Top off your dish with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Side note: I have gotten in the habit lately of chopping my ingredients again. Once my wife purchased my first food processor , I was a kid in a candy store. What was I doing before??
The cherry that tops this casserole off is nothing other than cheese. My motto — the more cheese, the bigger the smiles on everyone’s face! Want to impress at your next holiday gathering? Try bringing this Broccoli and Cheese Casserole to the party, sit back, and watch the joy happen.
Here are a few more side dish recipes you might enjoy:
- Creamy Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Carrot Soufflé
- Southern Creamed Corn
- Quick & Easy Creamed Spinach
- Southern Red Beans & Rice