With the holidays around the corner, most of us are already preparing our minds for what we will bring to our family gatherings. Most of the time, if the gathering isn’t held at my home, I bring some of my most popular side dishes. One of those dishes is my Southern Creamed Corn. This tasty spin on a traditional dish always leaves everyone impressed.
I have always loved corn and if you tell me it’s been enhanced with a little sweetness paired with a ton of creaminess, I am all in. Another great thing about this recipe is you can start preparing it ahead of time, as you know cooking during the holidays is hectic enough. Now let’s dig into this very simple recipe…
Making the Southern Creamed Corn recipe:
- Begin by cutting the corn kernels from the cob. I use a really cool technique and it involves a bundt pan! For a quick tip, place the entire corn-on-the-cob on the hole in the center of the bundt pan and cut the cob lengthwise. The pan will catch the kernels, making the job a whole lot easier.
- The next thing you want to do is chop your onions into small pieces, then cook them down until they are translucent.
- Once you have added your corn kernels, sugar and seasonings to the cooking pan you will add your milk and heavy cream and allow it to cook down.
- You’ll finish off your creamed corn by adding the special ingredient which is the Asiago Shredded Cheese. This takes this side dish to new heights!
This recipe doesn’t take much time to prepare but the flavor will have everyone thinking you spent the entire day working on it! Bring this Southern Creamed Corn recipe to your dinner table — and everyone can thank me later. 🙂Print
A Southern Creamed Corn recipe perfect for dinner & family gatherings. Made with fresh corn, it’s creamy, a little sweet, and has a surprise ingredient! This side dish will have everyone asking for seconds!
- 4 cups Fresh Corn
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Asiago Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- Begin by cutting the kernels from the corn cob over the center of a Bundt cake pan (easily catches the kernels). Set to the side.
- Chop your onion into small pieces. Set to the side.
- Pre-heat cooking pan on medium heat. Add butter, flour, and minced garlic. Stir.
- Add the onions to pan and cook until translucent for 5 or more minutes.
- Add corn kernels to pan. Add seasonings and sugar. Allow to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add coconut milk, evaporated milk and heavy whipping cream to the pan. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add Asiago Shredded Cheese. Stir. Serve hot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Southern
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Fat: 16.7g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
Keywords: Southern Creamed Corn, Creamed Corn, creamy corn, corn side dish, holiday side dish