This Watermelon Moscow Mule cocktail is the true definition of a refreshing drink. Freshly pureed watermelon takes the traditional Moscow Mule to new heights!
When days get a little warm and you are looking for a cocktail to enjoy --- and cool off at the same time --- you may have found a perfect match. Not only do we get the spicy flavors of ginger beer in this cocktail, but the watermelon plays the leading role when it comes to taste.
Watermelon has been a major part of my upbringing since I can recall. I grew up with a grandfather who had a garden in the backyard, and his watermelons were the best. I can remember like it was yesterday...he would come into the house pretty happy after picking a ripe and sweet watermelon straight from the vine.
Now on to the recipe...
This recipe begins by choosing the right watermelon. What is your process of choosing the best watermelon in the batch? There are so many opinions on this.
To keep this recipe simple, I purchase watermelon that is already cut. I can typically look at the bright red fruit and determine very easily if it is ready to enjoy. However, if you are choosing a whole watermelon, here are a few tips I picked up from my grandfather.
Tips for choosing the perfect watermelon:
- Take a look at the bottom of the melon and search for a large yellow spot on the underside. The bigger and darker this spot, the riper the watermelon.
- The ideal watermelon should be very deep green in color with contrasting stripes.
- Look at the watermelon's "tail". If the tail is green, it probably means the watermelon was picked too soon. However, a dried tail indicates the watermelon is ripe and ready.
- I prefer very sweet and moist watermelons, which is why I typically only pick those that have seeds. Some people enjoy seedless watermelon better, but I guess I'm old school. 🙂
- Watermelon season runs throughout the summer between May and September, but the exact months depend on where you live. In Texas, the watermelon season is from June to August.
Did you know? Watermelon is good for heart health, inflammation, and fights the good fight against cancer, and hydrates.
This cocktail has a great balance of three simple ingredients and is perfect when sitting poolside or on the back patio relaxing and enjoy family and friends.
Making a Watermelon Moscow Mule:
Cut your watermelon into cubes to make the blending process a lot easier.
Blend your watermelon into a puree and strain into a serving glass.
Add ice to your shaker then pour the fresh watermelon juice and vodka of choice.
Since vodka takes on the flavor of any ingredient added to it, I would recommend not investing too much money on a high-end vodka. When it comes to blended cocktails, any decent vodka will do.
Shake ingredients for 30 seconds then pour over ice inside of your mule mug.
Top your cocktail off with ginger beer and garnish with a fresh mint leaf and sliced watermelon.
This cocktail is so refreshing you will forget that it has alcohol in it so be careful when enjoying these so you don't overindulge! When you're in need of a refreshing refreshment give this Watermelon Moscow Mule cocktail a try. Cheers!
Check out a few more summer cocktail recipes:
- Pineapple Coconut Moscow Mule
- Best Lemon Drop Martini Cocktail
- Sunkist Orange Cocktail
- Blackberry Mojito Cocktail
- Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
- Piña Colada Cocktail
- Spiked Arnold Palmer (with Vodka)