This Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich was inspired by Whataburger's Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich!
I'm not a big fast-food guy, but when I do decide to choose a quick meal on the road you may catch me eating a Whataburger chicken sandwich. Just because I don't eat fast food often doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of the options you can grab in the drive-through. 🙂
One of my favorite sandwiches is their Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich and that is where this latest recipe was inspired from.
Since Texas is known for its BBQ, I figured how could I go wrong with crispy chicken tenders slathered in tangy BBQ sauce on buttery Texas toast. Recreating my take on this at home didn't sound like a bad idea.
At the core of this sandwich are the BBQ chicken tenders. The tenders are made with a combination of flour and panko breadcrumbs to give them the perfect texture.
The grand slam comes into play when you add a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce (I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce) and buttery Havarti cheese to this bad boy. The homemade Sriracha mayo adds a little heat and the final step is to surrounds all of this goodness with toasted Texas toast made from sliced brioche bread.
I call that a winner, winner chicken dinner (or sandwich). 🙂
Ingredients you'll need to make this chicken sandwich:
- It all starts with the chicken tenders. You'll need organic boneless chicken breast that will be seasoned simply with paprika.
- To get that perfect crispiness for your tenders, you'll coat them in an egg and buttermilk mixture before dredging them in a second mixture of flour, panko, black pepper, and garlic.
- For my BBQ sauce, I use Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce, but you can use your favorite BBQ sauce in its place. However, you may need to "doctor up" your sauce it it is more on the tangy side. The sauce for this recipe is meant to be sweeter. (See my notes in the recipe card for this.)
- You'll need slices of Havarti cheese. This cheese is similar to a Monterey Jack and is known for its smooth, creamy to buttery texture and flavor.
- For your bread, you'll want thick toasted slices of brioche. It just doesn't get any better.
- And for a little kick, my the sriracha mayo blends mayo, white pepper, crushed basil leaves, garlic powder, and of course, sriracha sauce.
If you are like me and want to satisfy that fast food craving that comes every now and then, give this Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich a try and I can almost guarantee you and the family will have this recipe on repeat!
Here are a few more chicken sandwich recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Italian Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwich
- Colossal Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Double Buffalo Chicken Burger
- Sweet & Sticky Chicken Waffle Sliders