This Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich was inspired by Whataburger’s Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich. It’s so easy, you can make it at home.
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/2 lb. Organic Boneless Chicken Breast
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 2 Large Organic Eggs
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce
- 4 Havarti Cheese Slices
- 1 Loaf Euro Brioche Bread
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1 tsp. White Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Basil Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Sriracha Sauce
- Rinse the chicken breast and slice into strips. Season chicken with paprika and set to the side.
- In a bowl, add eggs and buttermilk then whisk . In one large zip lock bag, add 1 cup of flour. In a separate bag add 1 cup flour, 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp black pepper. Mix together.
- Sprinkle the chicken strips with 1 tbsp of flour to slightly coat. Dip chicken into the egg mixture then add to the flour only bag. Shake to coat well. Remove from bag. Add back into the egg mixture then into the flour & panko bag. Shake to coat well.
- Heat a cooking pan to medium heat and add approximately 2 cups of cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add chicken breast and cook for 4 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other side.
- Place in a large bowl and cover with BBQ sauce.
- Slice the brioche bread into Texas Toast sized slices, spread butter on one side and broil in the oven until slightly golden. Make sure to watch this process closely and the bread will brown quickly.
- Place slice of cheese on bread. Add three chicken strips then another slice of cheese. Place back into the oven for a few minutes (on broil) until cheese begins to melt then remove.
- For the sriracha mayo, blend mayo, white pepper, crushed basil leaves, garlic powder, sriracha sauce then stir. Add mayo to sandwich as desired.
For the amount of cooking oil to be used to fry the chicken, make sure the oil covers at least 3/4 of the chicken strips.
To “doctor up” your BBQ sauce (if you are not using Sweet Baby Ray’s or a sweet and tangy sauce): Heat a cooking pan to medium-low heat. Add butter and allow to melt. Add ¾ cup BBQ sauce, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, ¼ tsp. ground turmeric, 1 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp. lemon juice. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 649
- Fat: 22.2g
Keywords: Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich, BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich, Chicken Strip Sandwich, Whataburger's Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich