When you don't want to give up great tasting Tex-Mex, but you want to keep an eye on your carb count, my Low-Carb Tex-Mex Casserole is a great option. The casserole combines a fluffy and creamy egg layer with a savory layer of seasoned ground beef topped off with cheese. The dish is also perfect for those on a keto diet.
I don't need many reasons to justify eating Tex-Mex of any kind. Living in Houston, you can get your fill, and on as many occasions as I can --- I do just that! But as much as I love my Tex-Mex, the carbs that go along with enjoying it can add up quickly.
This low carb dinner idea came about when I was looking for ways to enjoy some of my cheesy favorites but wanted to forgo the carbs. It's no surprise this casserole makes an appearance on the dinner table several times a month and is one of my absolute favorite Tex-Mex recipes.
It's easy to prepare, and you can make it your own by adding pico de gallo, sour cream, and homemade guacamole into the mix.
The secret to this dish is the egg and Greek yogurt cream cheese layer. It's simple, fluffy, slightly creamy, and very fulfilling, allowing you to chow down on this casserole minus the guilt. 🙂
Ingredients you'll need:
- The creamy and fluffy first layer is made using greek yogurt cream cheese, eggs, garlic powder, and you'll use some of the Colby cheese for this layer as well. You can substitute regular cream cheese for the Greek yogurt variety. Note that Greek yogurt cream cheese offers twice the protein and half the fat --- another reason I prefer it.
- For the second layer, you'll need ground beef, pico de gallo, tomato sauce, Goya adobo seasoning, red cayenne pepper, chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, Himalayan salt, and black pepper.
- You'll top these two layers off with the remaining Colby cheese.
How to make this low-carb casserole:
- Cut the cream cheese into small chunks and using a hand blender, blend the cream cheese with eggs, and garlic powder.
- Coat a square 8x8 baking dish with butter or non-stick spray, pour these ingredients into the baking dish, and top this first layer off with a cup of cheese. You'll use the remaining cheese for a later step. Bake this layer for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- While the bottom layer is baking, you can work on the second layer.
- Add your ground beef to a medium heated pan and cook your beef until browned. This step typically takes around 5 minutes.
- Once your beef is cooked, drain any excess liquid and add your tomato sauce, pico de gallo, chili powder, goya adobo, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, and red pepper to the same pan. Combine all ingredients until well blended and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Once cooled, add your ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Top with the remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle on some parsley. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool then serve!
The well-seasoned ground beef mixture is the perfect protein to accompany this dish. Blended with delicious spices and a tomato base, it serves as the hearty and fulfilling layer for the casserole.
The finishing touch is the generous layer of Colby cheese. Once ready and served, I top it off with a dollop of homemade guacamole and sour cream. Tasty perfection!
This is the perfect low carb or keto casserole to add to your list of go-to's!Print