Who doesn’t love a great chicken wrap? This Simple Barbeque Chicken Wrap is a perfect meal that can be prepared in no time! Made with tender chunks of chicken breast, bbq sauce, arugula, red onions, tomatoes, and cheese all wrapped up in a warm tortilla, they make a quick lunch or dinner.
Looking for more easy sandwich recipes? Check out my Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich, Spicy Cajun Crispy Chicken Sandwich, Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich, Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, Korean Beef Sloppy Joes, or my Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy.
This wrap can be served either hot or cold and can even be prepared it ahead of time.
The juicy and tender boneless chicken breast chunks have a simple and flavorful combination of spices that will be tossed in your favorite barbeque sauce. As delicious as the BBQ sauce can be, you still want to season your chicken for that extra dose of flavor. This recipe is versatile, too, so you can make it your own. Feel free to add any additional ingredients you have on hand. You can also opt for any type of tortillas, like spinach or sun-dried tomato.
And what’s even better? You don’t even need a recipe for this wrap. Once you cut and pan fry two chicken breasts, it gets really easy from there. It’s even easier if you have leftover chicken on hand or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- First up is boneless chicken breast. You will season the chicken with all-purpose adobo seasoning, chili powder, smoked paprika, cilantro flakes, garlic powder, and black pepper, then toss it in barbeque sauce.
- You can go as light as heavy with your sauce. Use a homemade BBQ sauce or your favorite store-bought. My favorite BBQ sauce to use is Sweet Baby Ray’s.
- You’ll need large burrito-size flour tortillas that are big enough for your ingredients and leave enough room to wrap your tortilla tight.
- For the veggies, you’ll need baby arugula, diced tomatoes, and diced red onions. Baby arugula brightens up this chicken wrap, and the fresh red onions bring great texture to the table.
- Lastly, the cheese is the final piece of this delicious quick, and easy recipe. I prefer shredded sharp cheddar cheese, but just about any cheese will work.
How to make this BBQ chicken wrap:
(Don’t forget to Scroll below for a printable recipe version of the ingredients and instructions.)
- Place your flour tortilla on a flat surface.
- Layer your ingredients, starting with the arugula, diced tomatoes, BBQ chicken, red onions, and cheese. (Your ingredients should be placed 1-inch from the edge of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla flap nearest you over the filling, then fold in the sides. Roll the filled tortilla from you, keeping it tight to form into a wrap. Place seam side down.
All these great ingredients are wrapped up in a large flour soft tortilla shell. Flour tortillas are easier to fold and keep everything together nice and tight if wrapped correctly. You and the kids can enjoy this as a lunch or dinner item. You can even get the kids involved in making it if you want to turn the preparation into family time.
A few recipe variations:
- Leftover chicken breasts work great for this recipe. You can also purchase pre-cooked chicken and/or rotisserie chicken. And instead of pan-frying the chicken, you can bake or grill it.
- Instead of the regular flour tortillas, you can use spinach or sun-dried tomato. I have seen other brands offer flavors like jalapeno cheddar too. Any flavor or variety (ex. low-carb) will work for a tortilla wrap.
- Want to forgo the carbs? Make chicken lettuce wraps by swapping out your flour tortillas for the large lettuce leaves.
- I find warm tortillas are easier to work with, so place them on a microwavable plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments until they are warm enough for you. You can also lightly toast your tortillas with a little butter in a warm skillet.
- You can substitute just about any type of cheese for the sharp white cheddar. Other alternatives include Gouda, Monterey jack, Pepper Jack, or Colby.
These homemade BBQ Chicken Wraps are bursting with flavor and are perfect on those days when you just need to get something on the table quickly with little fuss!Print