If you are ever craving a taste of Louisiana, this Cajun Smoked Chicken Sausage Po Boy will do the job! Being from South Louisiana, Po Boy sandwiches were just a way of life and there was always a mom and pop restaurant that specialized in soft bread and a great tasting sandwich.
The robust flavors from the mixture of the sauteed peppers smoked chicken sausage, and let's not forget the cheese, will make this a family favorite. Just make sure you bring your appetite to take down this sandwich. Of course, you could always share!
How to Make a Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy:
- Begin the process by chopping your chicken sausage into small pieces.
- Some use food processors to cut the veggies, but for this sandwich cutting your peppers and onions by hand will ensure the pieces are not too small. They are a huge part of the texture in this sandwich.
- Cook your peppers and onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Slice your bread lengthwise then pile on the ingredients before adding to the oven to melt your cheese.
I chose a Pugliese Loaf for the bread as it has more rustic Italian flavors and has a similar texture to ciabatta bread. For the cheese, Provolone was the only way to go.
The creaminess and smokiness of the cheese is a perfect complement to the sausage and peppers.
This recipe is one that I make any time I get a little homesick because it takes me right back to a time when life was as simple as making good grades and eating great food --- like this sandwich.
When you want a sandwich with a Cajun spin, give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy a spot on your dinner table and I can almost promise you will not regret this decision.
Here are a few more sandwich recipes you can enjoy:
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Italian Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwich
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
- Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Crispy “Ritz” Fried Fish Sandwich
- Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich