If you are ever craving a taste of Louisiana, this Cajun Smoked Chicken Sausage Po Boy will do the job! Being from South Louisiana, Po Boy sandwiches were just a way of life. There was always a mom and pop restaurant that specialized in soft bread and great tasting sandwich.
The robust favors from the mixture of the sauteed peppers, smoked chicken sausage, and let’s not forget the cheese, will make this a family favorite. Just make sure you bring your appetite to take down this manwich. Of course, you could always share!
Making the Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy:
- Begin the process by chopping your chicken sausage into small pieces.
- Some use food processors to cut the veggies, but for this sandwich cutting your peppers and onions by hand will ensure the pieces are not too small. They are a huge part of the texture in this sandwich.
- Cook your peppers and onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Slice your bread length wise then pile on the ingredients before adding to the oven to melt your cheese.
I chose a Pugliese Loaf for the bread as it has more rustic Italian flavors and has a similar texture to ciabatta bread. For the cheese, Provolone was the only way to go. The creaminess and smokiness of the cheese is a perfect blend with the sausage and peppers.
This recipe is one that I make anytime I get a little home sick because it takes me right back to a time when life was as simple as making good grades and eating great food — like this sandwich. When you want a sandwich with a Cajun spin give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy a spot on your dinner table and I can almost promise you will not regret this decision. Enjoy!Print
If you are ever craving a taste of Louisiana Cajun-style food, this Cajun Smoked Chicken Sausage Po Boy will do the job!
- 12 oz. Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1 Rustic Pugliese Loaf
- 1/4 cup Chopped Green Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Red Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup Chopped Celery
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley
- 3 Swiss Cheese Slices
- 3 Provolone Cheese Slices
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Dash Red Pepper
- Dash Garlic Powder
- Begin by slicing your chicken sausage into small pieces. Chop the green pepper, red pepper, onion, celery and parsley into small pieces (if they didn’t come pre-chopped).
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add all of your chopped peppers, onion, celery and parsley into the pan. Season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pepper mixture for 5 minutes then add chopped chicken sausage into the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, covered.
- Cut your bread loaf down the middle longways and add 3 slices of provolone cheese to one half and 3 slices of Swiss cheese to the other half.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once your chicken and peppers are complete, spread the combined ingredients over the bottom half of the bread and place on a baking sheet. Leave the top half of the bread with the cheese side up and bake for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes place the top half onto the chicken mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Calories: 928
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 1859mg
- Fat: 37.5g
- Carbohydrates: 61.8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 34.1g
- Cholesterol: 168mg
Keywords: Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy, Cajun Po Boy, Sausage Po Boy