If you are ever craving a taste of Louisiana, this Cajun Smoked Chicken Sausage Po Boy will do the job! Being from South Louisiana, Po Boy sandwiches were just a way of life and there was always a mom and pop restaurant that specialized in soft bread and a great tasting sandwich.
The robust flavors from the mixture of the sauteed peppers smoked chicken sausage, and let’s not forget the cheese, will make this a family favorite. Just make sure you bring your appetite to take down this sandwich. Of course, you could always share!
How to Make a Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy:
- Begin the process by chopping your chicken sausage into small pieces.
- Some use food processors to cut the veggies, but for this sandwich cutting your peppers and onions by hand will ensure the pieces are not too small. They are a huge part of the texture in this sandwich.
- Cook your peppers and onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Slice your bread lengthwise then pile on the ingredients before adding to the oven to melt your cheese.
I chose a Pugliese Loaf for the bread as it has more rustic Italian flavors and has a similar texture to ciabatta bread. For the cheese, Provolone was the only way to go.
The creaminess and smokiness of the cheese is a perfect complement to the sausage and peppers.
This recipe is one that I make any time I get a little homesick because it takes me right back to a time when life was as simple as making good grades and eating great food — like this sandwich.
When you want a sandwich with a Cajun spin, give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy a spot on your dinner table and I can almost promise you will not regret this decision.
Here are a few more sandwich recipes you can enjoy:
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Italian Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwich
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
- Brisket Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Crispy “Ritz” Fried Fish Sandwich
- Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich
If you are ever craving a taste of Louisiana Cajun-style food, this Cajun Smoked Chicken Sausage Po Boy will do the job!
- 12 oz. Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1 Rustic Pugliese Loaf
- 1/4 cup Chopped Green Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Red Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 cup Chopped Celery
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Parsley
- 3 Swiss Cheese Slices
- 3 Provolone Cheese Slices
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Dash Red Pepper
- Dash Garlic Powder
- Begin by slicing your chicken sausage into small pieces. Chop the green pepper, red pepper, onion, celery and parsley into small pieces (if they didn’t come pre-chopped).
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add all of your chopped peppers, onion, celery and parsley into the pan. Season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pepper mixture for 5 minutes then add chopped chicken sausage into the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, covered.
- Cut your bread loaf down the middle longways and add 3 slices of provolone cheese to one half and 3 slices of Swiss cheese to the other half.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once your chicken and peppers are complete, spread the combined ingredients over the bottom half of the bread and place on a baking sheet. Leave the top half of the bread with the cheese side up and bake for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes place the top half onto the chicken mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Calories: 928
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 1859mg
- Fat: 37.5g
- Carbohydrates: 61.8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 34.1g
- Cholesterol: 168mg
Keywords: Cajun Chicken Sausage Po Boy, Cajun Po Boy, Sausage Po Boy