This Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich fits the bill if you love a good pulled beef sandwich. Toasted french bread, super tender and juicy beef, covered in melted provolone cheese — it’s a flavor explosion. And let’s not forget that warm, beefy Au jus you get to dip your sandwich back into, adding even more juiciness to each bite.
For more delicious Instant Pot meals, try these recipes this week: Instant Pot Curry Australian Lamb Shanks, Instant Pot Beef Ragù with Pappardelle, Instant Pot Truffle Lasagna Soup, & Instant Pot Cajun White Beans
There is something special about tender beef that falls apart by simply picking it up. Made with tender chunks of chuck roast, this Instant Pot french dip sandwich recipe is ideal for lunch and is also an easy dinner idea.
You can sign me up any day of the week for a sandwich recipe like that!
My first thoughts of a good chuck roast always take me directly to my grandmother’s kitchen. She would cook her roast for hours, but it was always worth the wait. Now, gadgets like the Instant Pot reduce cooking time by hours. You will be amazed at how tender your meat comes out.
So what exactly is Au jus?
“Au jus” is a French term that means “with juice” or “containing juice.” It is served on the side to enjoy with your French Dip Sandwich. Au jus comes from the meat droppings created from the beef. It is the foundation of the flavor during and after the cooking process.
Ingredients you’ll need for the recipe:
- The chuck roast is the star of the show. You will season it evenly with salt, pepper, and basil flakes. Once seasoned and slowly cooked, you will shred it.
- The Au jus is created using chopped onions, minced garlic, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and beef stock and enhanced with fresh rosemary and sage. You will also season the beef stock with ground thyme, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. The garlic and onion also add to the flavor of the beef.
- I did say this was a sandwich, right? You’ll need French rolls along with provolone cheese slices that will take you to the finish line with the win. Provolone s great for this recipe because it melts well, and the mild flavor doesn’t overpower the beefy flavor of the chuck roast and Au jus. Swiss cheese can be substituted.
How to make this French Dip Sandwich:
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the Saute setting. While warming up, you can season your chuck roast evenly with salt, pepper, and basil flakes.
- Add a small amount of cooking oil into the Instant Pot and sear the roast for 2 minutes per side before removing it from the heat.
- Add in the chopped onions, and allow them to cook for 5 minutes.
- Change the setting on the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook and adjust the time to 45 minutes before adding in the garlic, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground thyme, sage, and rosemary. I love red wine, so adding that element to the sauce brings richness.
- Place the chuck roast into the seasoned beef stock and spoon the seasoned beef stock over the roast before closing and locking the lid.
- Once complete, slow release for an additional 10 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure.
- Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and place it in a large bowl. Use a fork or handheld mixture to shred.
- Build your sandwich by cutting the French roll lengthwise, spreading them with butter, and toasting them in the oven.
- Fill each toasted French roll and fill with provolone cheese and shredded beef.
- Serve with a side of Au jus.
- Go with an economical choice for your beef selection. There is no need to opt for premium beef cuts as the pressure cooker will make anything tender! Chuck roast is rich, flavorful, and breaks down perfectly in an Instant Pot . A top, bottom, or sirloin roast will not become as tender as a chuck roast.
- Don’t skip the sear! Searing your chuck roast before pressure cooking caramelizes the roast, seals in the seasonings, and gives it lots of flavor.
- Spread butter on your French rolls before toasting helps to keep the sandwiches from getting soggy.
How to store and reheat any leftovers:
Store any leftover shredded beef along with the leftover Au jus in an airtight container to keep the beef from drying out. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the beef and Au jus, allow the meat to defrost in the refrigerator if needed. Heat the beef and Au jus in a saucepan over low heat. Strain off the Au jus from the beef, reserve the Au jus for dipping and assemble the sandwiches as usual.
From the tender beef to melty cheese to the rich au jus, French Dip Sandwiches are the ultimate beef sandwich. If you are a sandwich lover, this sandwich recipe will most likely be added to your sandwich rotation after just one dip and bite. Meals don’t have to be complicated!Print