If you love lamb, then you will thoroughly enjoy these Curry Lamb Shanks. Pressure cooked (via an Instant Pot ) in a spicy coconut milk-based curry sauce, this lamb shank recipe is fall off the bone good.
This Yellow Curry Lamb Shank recipe is great any day of the week and any time of the year! Serve it for a weeknight meal or a special occasion.
I mean, tender lamb bathing in a spicy coconut curry sauce loaded with onions, potatoes and a lot of kick will leave you with the feeling like an accomplished chef. This lamb will be so tender when it’s done cooking that you can eat it minus any utensils — well, you may want a spoon to enjoy all of that delicious curry sauce.
Ingredients you’ll need to make your lamb shanks:
- Using the Instant Pot to cook this meal will result in fall-off-the-bone lamb in less than an hour. Once you prepare your curry paste, you sear your lamb and drop everything in the Instant Pot . It makes dinner easy, breezy.
- For this recipe, I used 2 lb. Australian lamb shanks. I have a 6-quart Instant Pot and two lamb shanks fit perfectly, although there is certainly room for 1 or 2 more. (Note: These shanks have to be handled with care once they are ready to be removed from the Instant Pot as they literally fall apart due to the tenderness of the lamb.
- The seasoning combination for the lamb shanks is pretty simple but brings home the flavor and the heat. The seasonings consist of sea salt, black pepper, basil flakes, and garam masala. Garam masala is a spice heavily used in Indian cuisine, so it is a great flavor addition when making a curry dish.
- The yellow curry paste is the heartbeat of the flavors you will taste in the sauce. The curry paste consists of fresh shallots, fresh garlic, fresh lemongrass, and of course, red chile peppers. If you like a lot of spice, I suggest using 15 to 20 red chile peppers (this is very hot), but if you want it milder, use closer to 5 or 10 to be safe. The paste will be loaded with flavors from seasonings, including turmeric, curry powder, coriander, ground cumin, ground ginger, red cayenne pepper, Himalayan pink salt, and ground white pepper.
- Once your paste is ready, it will go into the Instant Pot along with yellow onion, green onion, yellow potatoes, and chicken stock.
- In the end, you will fold in your coconut milk. This will provide a little creaminess to the texture of the curry sauce.
How to make curry lamb shanks:
You will begin preparing this recipe by turning on your Instant Pot in Saute mode set to normal heat.
While the Instant Pot is warming up, chop your yellow onion and green onion into small pieces, then set to the side. Cut your yellow potatoes into smaller cubes and set them to the side.
Season your lamb shanks with salt, pepper, basil flakes, and garam masala.
Add a tablespoon of cooking oil into the hot Instant Pot and sear each side of the seasoned lamb shank for 3 to 5 minutes, remove from the heat, and set them to the side.
Now it’s time to make the yellow curry paste. First, remove the outer skin from the shallots and remove the garlic cloves from their bulbs/heads. Place your shallot and garlic in the food processor along with lemongrass, red chile peppers, and curry seasoning.
Pour water over the ingredients and blend. The paste should have a thick, yet smooth and creamy consistency.
While the Instant Pot is still set to Sauté, add butter into the pot, then add the yellow and green onions cooking them until they become translucent. Add in your potatoes.
Add your yellow curry paste, then pour in the chicken stock. Stir before adding the seared lamb shanks back into the Instant Pot .
Top off everything with cilantro flakes and stir and completely. Make sure your lamb shanks are submerged into the sauce.
Change the cooking setting on the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook on High and place your top on and seal it. Cook for 35 minutes, then allow the pot to slow release for an additional 15 minutes before doing your manual release.
Remove the top and remove the lamb shank from the Instant Pot and place them in your serving dish. Note: Be careful when removing the lamb shanks as they will be very tender, and the meat may fall off the bone. Add the coconut milk to the pot and stir until it becomes creamy. You can then pour the sauce over your lamb shanks.
This dish can be served over a bed of rice or even mashed potatoes if desired.
In the end, you will be able to indulge in a creamy but yet spicy bowl of curry lamb shanks with potatoes. It is a great option for any occasion that can make a big impression. When you’re looking for a great dinner recipe that is loaded with flavor and spice, this Curry Lamb Shank will do the job!Print