These Australian Lamb Meatballs with Buttery Lemon Orzo served with homemade Tzatziki Sauce will turn you into a lamb lover — and more so if you’re already on board. Tender, oven-baked lamb meatballs loaded with fresh rosemary, Parmesan cheese, and other spices are joined with buttery and lemony orzo pasta for a complete meal idea anytime.
This post has been written in partnership with True Aussie Beef & Lamb. All opinions are mine alone.
The fact that I am a true lamb lover makes partnering with True Aussie Beef & Lamb a no-brainer. It lets me showcase some awesome recipes using lamb, and this time around, we are focusing on their ground lamb. (Make sure to check out my other lamb recipes includes the Instant Pot Curry Australian Lamb Shanks and Red Wine Braised Leg of Lamb).
Any meal you typically enjoy with ground beef can be easily swapped with ground lamb, and that was exactly my idea when I was creating this recipe. Herbs, lemon, and Mediterranean flavors really shine in this dish, and lamb is the perfect foundation. Australian ground lamb holds moisture and flavors very well, making every bite in this tender meatball a culinary experience.
This lamb meatball recipe is awesome for any occasion or day of the week. Enjoy them solo as an appetizer and serve the Tzatziki dipping sauce on the side (very popular in Greece and neighboring countries) or turn them into a full meal, as I’ve done in this recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- This Australian pasture-raised lamb enhances your lamb experience with robust flavors that are not “gamey” whatsoever. Not only will you be pleasantly surprised by the taste, but you will also reap the benefits of the amount of protein it packs. The ground lamb is the main attraction of this dish, boasting flavors of minced garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, onion powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, black pepper. Plus an egg which adds to the moisture and tenderness of the meatball.
- The orzo pasta looks like rice but has the texture of pasta. It’s an ingredient I am using more and more. The orzo is cooked with chicken stock then blended with melted butter, lemon zest, fresh parsley, and of course, garlic. It’s great all by itself.
- The tzatziki sauce will add some freshness to the entire dish. It combines chopped cucumber, Greek yogurt, fresh dill, fresh lemon juice, garlic, fresh parsley, salt, black pepper, and ground cinnamon.
How to make lamb meatballs with orzo and tzatziki:
- When it’s time to create this dish, you will begin by breaking down the ground lamb and placing it inside a large bowl. Season the lamb with onion powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, Himalayan Pink Salt, black pepper, minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, and fold in your egg.
- Mix everything well with your hands, then form them into palm-sized meatballs.
- Place the meatballs onto a baking sheet . Bake these meatballs at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and remove them from the oven. Note: To brown them a little more, you can broil the meatballs back in the oven for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, add your chicken stock to a cooking pot and bring it to a boil. Add in your orzo pasta and cook as instructed.
- Add 1/2 cup parsley and 1/4 cup of butter to a cooking pan. Once the butter melts, add your minced garlic and stir until combined.
- When the Orzo is finished cooking, zest one lemon into the pot and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice over the orzo. Add your chopped parsley and melted butter mixture over the cooked orzo and stir together.
- For the Tzatziki sauce, remove the skin from the cucumber, then chop into small pieces. Using a paper towel, squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess moisture. Place the cucumber in a bowl. Chop 1 tsp. of fresh dill and add to the bowl. Add your Greek yogurt, lemon juice, minced garlic, chopped dill, parsley, ground cinnamon, Himalayan Pink Salt, and black pepper to the bowl and mix.
- Plate and serve!
When you take these tender meatballs out of the oven and add soft buttery orzo on your plate with fresh and bright tzatziki sauce, you know you’re going to have a fantastic meal!
When you want to enjoy a great lamb meatball recipe, this Australian ground lamb is the perfect option. The combination of lemon buttered Orzo teamed with tender and flavorful meatballs and topped with fresh Tzatziki sauce will make a great impression on anyone.
Australian lamb can be found at most of your local grocery stores like Whole Foods, Costco, and Wegmans — simply look for “Product of Australia” on the label or #askforAustralian.
If you love lamb, you should also check out these recipes:
- Roasted Rack of Lamb & Creamed Spinach
- Instant Pot Curry Australian Lamb Shanks
- Red Wine Braised Leg of Lamb
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce