This Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich is the perfect choice for lunch and when you want to bring the deli to your kitchen at home. The greatness starts at the first bite when you taste that buttery croissant and it just goes uphill from there with the combination of tender chicken and fresh ingredients.
It does not take much convincing for me to try anything where a croissant is a part of the equation. Growing up, my mother used to make chicken salad sandwiches for lunch and I still remember how awesome they were. Just like anything I make, I had to take that great memory and put my spin on it.
I wanted to keep it simple and easy to make while keeping the integrity of the taste intact. For a take on the traditional chicken salad, I added sour cream and dill relish to enhance the creamy, rich, and tangy flavors for my recipe.
Did you know?
In Rhode Island in 1863, leftover chicken teamed up with mayonnaise and other key ingredients to create what we know today as chicken salad.
What type of chicken should I use?
You can opt for boneless chicken breast or shredded chicken. I prefer shredded chicken because it tends to be moister due to the blend of dark and white chicken meat. You can buy shredded chicken from your local grocery or you can head over to my Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken recipe.
What you'll need to make your chicken salad sandwich:
- Chicken is the most important ingredient. Go with the pre-shredded option for a quick and easy meal.
- To make sure my chicken salad is as creamy as possible, I combine mayo and sour cream. The sour cream is the not so obvious option, but it does wonders for the freshness of this recipe. Sour cream also helps to balance out the heaviness of the mayonnaise.
- For the tangy element, I use dill relish and a tablespoon of mustard. They go a long way in adding that subtle bite to the salad. If you prefer a sweeter taste, swap out the dill relish for sweet relish.
- Fresh ingredients are best so I chop up red onion and celery.
- For the seasonings, you'll need paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, basil flakes, and Himalayan salt.
- You can choose to go with a buttery croissant or not. I think croissants are the best bread for chicken salad sandwiches. If not, this salad is perfect on a bed of lettuce or with crackers as an appetizer.
How to make chicken salad:
Chop your shredded chicken into smaller pieces then add to a large bowl. Cutting the chicken into smaller pieces helps ensure you get a nice amount of chicken and fresh ingredients in every bite.
Chop your red onions and celery into small pieces then add to the bowl along with the chicken. Top these ingredients with your seasonings.
Add the mayo, sour cream, relish, and mustard into the same bowl and blend everything together. I choose to use dill relish over sweet relish because I prefer more of a tangy taste and it reminds of the tuna salad sandwiches I grew up loving.
Cut your croissant in half and layer it with fresh avocado, tomato slices and butter lettuce.
When you want to add a great sandwich recipe to your lunch menu give this Classic Chicken Salad Sandwich a spot on your table. The flavors you get from each bite will have you putting this in rotation on a regular basis.
Other sandwiches you might enjoy:
- Spicy Tuna Pita Sandwich
- Italian Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwich
- Crispy Fried Fish Sandwich
- Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- Spicy Cajun Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Crispy BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich
A Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich is the perfect choice. Creamy chicken salad loaded with fresh ingredients served in a buttery croissant!
- 1 lb. Shredded Chicken
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp Basil Flakes
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt
- 3 tbsp Dill Relish
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- ⅓ cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Mayo
- ½ cup Chopped Red Onion
- ⅓ cup Chopped Celery
- 4 Whole Croissants
- Chop your shredded chicken into small pieces then add to a large bowl. Chop your red onions and celery into small pieces then add to the same bowl.
- Add in your seasonings, mayo, sour cream, dill relish, and mustard. Mix well.
- Cut your croissant in half. In between croissant, add sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, and lettuce, the top off with chicken salad mixture.
You can lightly toast your croissant as well to give the sandwich a bit more texture.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 226mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.8g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 22.8g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
Keywords: Classic Chicken Salad Sandwich, Chicken Salad Sandwich, Chicken Salad Croissant