This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole is the perfect way to get your morning started! This easy and cheesy breakfast casserole requires only a few minutes of prep, making it the ideal breakfast casserole for holiday mornings, potlucks, or family gatherings for breakfast or brunch. And fresh ingredients like red bell peppers, chopped onions, and fresh cilantro take this casserole to new heights.
Looking for more potato ideas? Check out my Cheesy Bourbon Potatoes Au Gratin, Herb Roasted Potatoes with Mustard Vinaigrette, Turkey Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, Creamy Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, and Chicken Bacon Ranch Twice-Baked Potatoes.
Made with frozen hash browns and plenty of cheese, this cheesy and flavorful Hashbrown Casserole recipe is the definition of comfort food! For this easy recipe, you’ll simply chop your fresh ingredients, place all ingredients in a casserole dish , and let the goodness from the fresh veggies, seasonings, and cheese do the rest.
You don’t have to pull my arm when it comes to this hashbrown recipe!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this breakfast hashbrown casserole:
- Frozen shredded hashbrowns are the foundational ingredient. There is no need to thaw the frozen hashbrowns ahead of time. You can also use the diced hashbrowns. I do not recommend using freshly shredded potatoes due to the excess moisture.
- I have to say yes to more cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese is my go-to here. If you have time, grating it from a cheese block is budget-friendly and adds creaminess and richness to the casserole.
- Speaking of creaminess, you’ll need cream of celery (to make this recipe vegetarian-friendly) and sour cream along with melted butter to ensure the potatoes are full of flavor. The sour cream also adds creaminess and a tangy flavor to the recipe. The butter will make the edges of the casserole nice and crispy.
- Freshly chopped veggies and herbs like onion, red bell pepper, and cilantro are invited to the party. They add color and flavor to the casserole. Feel free to omit them if you are not a fan.
- The seasonings include salt, pepper, ground cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and dried chives for topping.
How to make this cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe:
Finely chop your ingredients. Chop the onion, cilantro, and red bell pepper and set them to the side.
Add all ingredients to a bowl. Add the frozen shredded hashbrowns, chopped cilantro, chopped onion, chopped red bell pepper, melted butter, cream of celery, sour cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper, ground cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and cheddar cheese to a large bowl. Combine all ingredients.
Bake. Place ingredients into a casserole dish and top off with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese and dried chives. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
Hashbrown Casserole Tips & Tricks
- You can use either frozen shredded or diced potatoes for this recipe.
- For a different flavor, you can substitute cream of chicken or cream of mushroom instead of the creamy of celery in this recipe.
- My choice of cheese for this casserole is mild cheddar cheese. You can also use sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, gouda, pepper jack, gruyere, provolone, or Colby cheese.
- You can add a variety of ingredients to the breakfast casserole, including cubed or shredded chicken, turkey or chicken sausage, beef bacon, ground beef, roasted poblano peppers, green chiles, diced jalapeños, and tons of other veggies like broccoli.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil for the final 10 minutes to ensure the cheese doesn’t become too crispy or burn.
What type of potatoes should I use to make a cheesy hashbrown casserole?
You can buy and shred fresh potatoes, but I prefer frozen potatoes to ensure the dish has some texture. Shredded fresh potatoes are an option, but they may not have as much texture as frozen potatoes and carry a lot of excess liquid.
Can I make hashbrown casserole ahead of time?
Absolutely! Just prepare the recipe per the instructions, but instead of baking, cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 2-3 days. When you are ready to enjoy, bake as directed and serve.
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. You can also freeze your leftovers. Simply cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven. To reheat leftovers, cover the casserole dish with foil and warm it in a 350º F oven until it is heated through (about 30 minutes).
When you want a great breakfast item that is filling and satisfying, give this Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole a slot on the menu. You will not be disappointed; I can guarantee it!Print