Some side dishes can become the star of the show, and these Herb Roasted Potatoes with Mustard Vinaigrette have all-star potential. This quick and easy side dish is full of fresh flavors from the fresh rosemary, seasonings, and homemade Dijon mustard vinaigrette enhanced with a hint of honey.
Need more potato inspiration? You should check out the recipe for Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts, Creamy Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, Turkey Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole, Healthier Red Potatoes Au Gratin, and Chicken Broccoli & Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes.
I make roasted potatoes all the time, and they are effortless to make — simply pop them in the oven and let them roast away. And once they’re done, they can be served in so many ways. Add a little salt and pepper, toss with garlic, butter, and herbs, or enjoy them in a tangy mustard vinaigrette.
Adding fresh herbs, like rosemary, thyme, or oregano, really elevates the aroma and taste of roasted potatoes.
Red potatoes, in particular, are my go to. When roasted at high heat, they result in a completely different texture than a russet/Idaho potato would. Slightly crispy skin on the outside and a creamy center — that firm but tender texture is what does it for me. Not only do their waxy flesh help hold their shape, but their thin skins means they don’t need to be peeled ahead of time.
These potatoes showcase how well fresh rosemary enhances any dish. After removing the potatoes from the oven, the homemade vinaigrette will be the glue that brings the flavor home.
Ingredients needed for this recipe:
- It all starts with the petite red potatoes that will get roasted in the oven.
- The potatoes are seasoned with fresh rosemary, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil to help the herbs and seasonings stick better to the potatoes.
- For the mustard vinaigrette dressing, you will need Dijon mustard, honey, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and minced garlic. The seasonings you’ll need include salt, black pepper, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes.
How to make roasted red potatoes with mustard vinaigrette:
- Rinse the petite red potatoes, then cut them into halves (or quarters for larger potatoes).
- Finely chop the fresh rosemary and season the potatoes evenly with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.
- Toss the seasoned potatoes in olive oil to coat then place on a baking sheet .
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, add olive oil, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, salt, pepper, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Once the roasted potatoes are removed from the oven, place them in a large bowl and pour mustard vinaigrette over the potatoes, tossing them until they are coated well before serving.
Can I use another type of potatoes for this recipe?
Absolutely! Yukon Gold has a medium starch content and has a smooth and slightly waxy skin, just like red potatoes. They strike a balance between starchy and waxy. Fingerling potatoes are also a great alternative and ideal for roasting. They also have a waxy interior.
This is the perfect side dish for any type of gathering of friends and family. And there is no need to purchase store-bought vinaigrette when you may have all ingredients you need right in your pantry. The combination of honey, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, seasonings, and Dijon mustard will have these “honey mustard potatoes” popping with flavor with each bite.Print