When it comes to pizza, this Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza recipe is a breath of fresh air. Layered with homemade pesto sauce, fresh arugula, buttery sauteed mushrooms, and creamy burrata, it is about as fresh as you can get. I think it's safe to say that this recipe passed the "pizza night" test because there were zero leftovers. My job is done. 🙂
It all really starts when you take a bite into that homemade pesto sauce! Pizza with pesto? Yep, it just doesn't get any better. This simple pesto recipe is a combination of fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, fresh garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Sometimes simple works the best and this is an awesome example of that.
Although cheese is not used as the base of this pizza, a pizza is not a pizza without it --- and burrata cheese was my choice. Burrata, meaning "buttery" in Italian, is a fresh cheese made from a blend of mozzarella and cream. This creamy cheese comes wrapped inside of a mozzarella shell and once you cut open the exterior and to get to the good stuff, it will make for an unforgettable experience.
Ingredients you'll need to make the flatbread:
- You can go with a store-bought flatbread to make your process a lot easier and time-efficient. I use a Roasted Garlic Tandoori Naan with this recipe and it was perfect. You can find naan at your local grocer.
- As we discussed early on, the homemade pesto is the star of the show. You can purchase pesto but I would highly recommend you make it at home. Fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil is all you'll need.
- Arugula offers a peppery taste and brings yet another fresh element into the mix.
- There is a secret ingredient that I don't shy away from and that is fresh Baby Bella mushrooms; also known as Italian portobello mushrooms. They are savory and intensely flavored. However, feel free to use your preferred mushroom variety.
- And let's not forget the burrata. There is no true substitute for buratta's creaminess but fresh mozzarella is a fair alternative. Because burrata is so fresh, it is best to consume this cheese the same day you buy it. However, if you can't it can hold up in the refrigerator for 1-2 days in an airtight container.
How to make mushroom flatbread pizza:
The preparation and cook time will have you enjoying this in no time.
Let's start with the pesto.
You'll begin by removing the leaves from the fresh basil and place them into a food processor along with the pine nuts and garlic cloves. Slowly add in your olive oil allowing it to blend the ingredients together until you reach the desired consistency.
Pour those blended ingredients into a bowl and add the Parmesan cheese along with the remaining seasonings.
Cook your fresh mushrooms in butter with a sprinkle of salt for a few minutes until they become soft and darken from the heat.
Now it's time to put the pesto mushroom "pizza" together!
Place your roasted garlic naan onto a cooking sheet or prepping area. Top off your flatbread naan with a very nice helping of pesto sauce and spread the sauce evenly over the flatbread.
Top off your flatbread with the cooked mushrooms, fresh arugula, and oregano. Cut your burrata cheese shell open and spoon your cheese onto a few areas of your flatbread. You can also opt to top your flatbread with dollops of burrata just after you pull the pizza out of the oven.
Bake your flatbread pizza for 3 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees and serve immediately.
The fresh flavors from the pesto sauce, buttery flatbread, and burrata cheese topped with the savory fresh mushrooms turn this into an instant hit.
I am a true pizza lover and this flatbread pizza recipe does not disappoint --- not even a little. When you want a fresh change give this Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza recipe a spot on your table. Enjoy!
Looking for more pizza ideas? Check these out:
- Mexican Taco Pizza
- Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Pie
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Parmesan Pizza
- Italian Beef and Pepperoni Stromboli
- Florentine Pizza with a Basil Pesto Crust
- Cheeseburger Pizza
- Turkey Pepperoni Calzone
- Spicy Beef Sausage Pizza
Layered with homemade pesto, arugula, buttery mushrooms, and fresh burrata, this Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza is a breath of fresh air.
- 4 Roasted Garlic Tandoori Naan
- 8 oz. Fresh Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 5 oz. Fresh Arugula
- Fresh Burrata
- 1 tsp. Oregano
For the Pesto Sauce:
- 2 cup Basil Leaves
- ½ cup Organic Pine Nuts
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground Thyme
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a small bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- On medium heat, cook the fresh mushrooms with butter and a sprinkle of salt (to taste) until soft. Remove from heat.
- Spread pesto sauce evenly on flatbread. Layer with cooked mushrooms, arugula, and oregano.
- Cut open the burrata cheese shell and place dollops of cheese onto the flatbread.
- Bake directly on rack for 3 to 5 minutes then remove from heat. Serve immediately.
For the burrata: You can also opt to top your flatbread with dollops of burrata just after you pull the pizza out of the oven.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 724
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Fat: 45.9g
- Carbohydrates: 59.8g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 21.8g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
Keywords: Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza, Pesto Flatbread Pizza, Mushroom Flatbread Pizza, Flatbread Pizza, Vegetarian Flatbread Pizza