Spicy Beef Sausage Pizza
What’s better than a cheesy beef pizza? A spicy cheesy beef pizza! My Spicy Beef Sausage Pizza combines beef sausage with crushed tomatoes, pico de gallo, three kinds of cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, and jalapeño slices — that sounds like my kind of pizza night.
I truly enjoy pizza nights — any day of the week — and with this recipe, I wanted to be a little more creative than normal. When I created this pizza I had no idea it would turn out as great as it did.
How would I describe this pizza? The perfect combination of Mexican and Cajun in one bite.
Being from Louisiana it’s no secret that spicy food was a part of my upbringing so figuring out a way to incorporate spiciness into a pizza was par for the course. But how do you add the appropriate balance of spiciness that adds to the flavor of the pizza without being too much?
In moderation. Too much and all you taste is heat. Too little, and we couldn’t call it spicy. 🙂
This is a fairly simple recipe that has been added to my pizza repertoire and has surprisingly moved up to one of the top pizzas on the family scoreboard.
A few things to note about this pizza:
- I used beef sausage as an alternative to the traditional pepperoni and I must say it does not disappoint. The juicy pieces of beef sausage just add to the texture and rich flavor.
- The spice comes from the red pepper flakes, fresh jalapeño slices, and pico de gallo. The pico de gallo not only enhances the flavors, but it brings all of the flavors together.
How to Make the Spicy Beef Pizza:
It all starts with fresh pizza dough. I typically buy my dough fresh from the local grocer and it saves a lot of time. If your dough is frozen, allow it to come to room temperature before using it.
You can use all-purpose or pastry flour to roll your pizza dough into the desired shape. Once you get your pizza dough rolled out into a circle place it on your pizza stone (paid link).
Note: When it comes to baking your pizza, you can choose to go with a pizza stone (paid link) or crisper. A pizza stone (paid link) produces a more evenly baked crust with crispy edges. A pizza crisper has a perforated surface that exposes the bottom of the pizza which results in an even crispier crust.
Cut your beef sausage into cubes and pan sear them for a few minutes to add a little color and caramelization. Because pizzas don’t require a long time in the oven, I would recommend pre-cooking any meats and vegetables.
Spread the crushed tomatoes evenly over the top of the pizza dough leaving an inch exposed around the edges.
Toss the oregano and red pepper flakes evenly over the top of the tomato sauce, then layer with parmesan cheese and pico de gallo. Once the pico de gallo is added, spread the cooked sausage evenly over the top leaving a fourth of your sausage to the side to top off over the cheese in a later step.
Toss your two kinds of cheese evenly over the top of the pizza then add remaining sausage and jalapeño slices. Bake your pizza at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
I use the Epicurean Pizza Cutter (paid link) to slice my pizza. I don’t know how I managed without it. It swiftly cuts even the crispiest pizza into uniform slices.
This pizza has the kick you have been waiting for. So grab you a tasty cold beverage and be prepared for the flavor you will experience in every single bite.
This Spicy Sausage Pizza is a must for your pizza night rotation. I think you will thoroughly enjoy it.
Looking for more pizza ideas? Check out these recipes:
- Mexican Taco Pizza
- Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Pie
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Parmesan Pizza
- Italian Beef and Pepperoni Stromboli
- Florentine Pizza with a Basil Pesto Crust
- Cheeseburger Pizza
Spicy Beef Sausage Pizza
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
This spicy beef pizza is a tasty combination of beef sausage, crushed tomatoes, pico de gallo, three cheeses, red pepper flakes, and sliced jalapeños.
- 1 lb Fresh Pizza Dough
- 1 cup Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (paid link)
- 13 oz. Beef Sausage
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Pico De Gallo
- 1 tbsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno Slices
- 1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Spread pastry flour over kitchen countertop. Place fresh dough onto flour and begin to shape dough into a circle using hands. Finish shaping and flattening with a roller then place on pizza stone (paid link) or crisper.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over the pizza dough. Sprinkle oregano, red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, and Pico De Gallo over the sauce.
- Slice your beef sausage into cubes and cook on high heat for 3 to 5 minutes until browned. Remove from heat.
- Place 3/4 of the cooked sausage over the top of the pizza evenly then top off with both shredded cheeses. Layer pizza with the remaining sausage and the jalapeños.slices.
- Bake pizza at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 724
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 1237mg
- Fat: 53.6g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 20.3g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
Keywords: Spicy Beef Sausage Pizza, Beef Sausage Pizza, Spicy Pizza, Beef Pizza