When you want to take a round trip to Chicago with a layover in south Louisiana, give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza a try!
I love Friday’s because it normally leads to my all-time favorite meal that I could easily eat every day — you guessed it…pizza. You will come across different types of pizza depending on the region you are traveling or visiting so I figured why not make one that represents my native home.
Growing up in Louisiana you get a chance to eat some great Cajun food and my southern made Chicago deep pizza AKA Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza is no different.
The key to making this dish so awesome is the combination of the cheeses and the flavor you get from the chicken sausage along with the green peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, and sweet onions. Cooking the “Holy Trinity” will fill your home with an aroma that will bring everyone in to see what’s cooking.
How to make Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza:
Chop your vegetables, mozzarella cheese block, and chicken sausage into small pieces. Place your cheese to the side. With a drizzle of olive oil, cook your vegetables with oregano for 8 minutes. To save time, while your vegetables are cooking on one side of the pan, add your chicken sausage to the other. It can cook in parallel.
Add flour to your countertop and form pizza dough into a 15-inch circle. Add the dough into the springform pan and allow the ends of the dough to slightly hang over the sides.
I bake this pizza using a springform pan which makes the texture of the dough undeniable. It also makes the pizza easier to serve as you just remove the outer band/sides of the springform pan leaving the base of the pan intact.
Now it’s time to start layering your pizza ingredients. Add the chopped mozzarella and 8 ounces of the Pepper Jack cheese. Place the vegetables over the cheese along with a layer of chicken sausage. Leave a handful of sausage to top off the pizza.
Drain the crushed tomatoes as much as possible to prevent having soggy dough when it’s done. Spread the crushed tomato sauce over the top of the pizza and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the tomatoes. Top off the pizza with the remaining Pepper Jack cheese and chicken sausage.
When you want to take a round trip to Chicago with a layover in south Louisiana, give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Pie a try and you will love it!
Check out my other deep dish pizza recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza
- Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza
- Cast Iron Italian Chicken Pizza
When you want to take a round trip to Chicago with a layover in south Louisiana, give this Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Pie a try!
- 1 lb. Fresh Pizza Dough
- 13 oz. Roasted Chicken Sausage
- 28 oz. Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 lb. Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese Shredded
- 5 oz. Fresh Mushrooms
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1/3 cup Pastry Flour
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop your vegetables, mozzarella cheese block and sausage into small pieces and set to the side.
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat and add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Cook vegetables with oregano for 8 minutes. Push to one side of the pan and cook the chopped sausage for 7 minutes on the other. Remove from heat.
- Add flour to clean counter top and form pizza dough into a 15 inch circle. Add dough into the springform baking pan and allow the ends of the dough to slightly hang over the sides.
- Start the bottom layer of the pizza with the chopped mozzarella then add 8 ounces of the Pepper Jack cheese. Place the cooked vegetables over the cheese and add a layer of the cooked chicken sausage over the top leaving a hand full to top the pizza off to the side.
- Strain the crushed tomato sauce and spread over the top of the pizza then sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the tomatoes. Top off the pizza with the remaining Pepper Jack cheese and remaining chicken sausage.
- Fold the sides of the dough into the inside sides of the baking pan and place springform pan onto a large flat baking pan to catch the drippings.
- Bake pizza at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then lower heat to 400 degrees to cook for another 15 minutes then remove from heat. Allow pizza to cool for 20-30 minutes then serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 523
- Fat: 31.1g
Keywords: pizza, deep dish pizza, chicken pizza, cajun chicken pizza, chicken sausage pizza