The Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza seems to be an all-time classic when you even mention the words “pizza pie”. Unlike other pizza preparations this style allows you the opportunity to really pile on all those tasty ingredients.
Making this pizza is very easy when using your cast iron skillet. Once you get the hang of forming the dough on the edges of the skillet, your pizza making skills will be endless.
You can swap out the beef in the recipe for any meat of your choice or go meatless for a cheesy vegetarian alternative. That’s the beauty of making pizza…everyone can be a happy camper. You can also checkout my individual cast iron pizza recipe here.
The thick crust topped off with layers of fresh cheese and crushed tomato can stop any hungry soul in their tracks.
If you want to take ride to the windy city without having to pay for airfare, this awesome deep dish delight can do like “The Staple Sisters” and take you there.
- 1 lb. Fresh Pizza Dough
- 1 lb. Low Moisture Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese Block
- 8 oz. Fresh Moist Mozzarella Cheese Ball
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 28 oz. Muir Glenn Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan Grated Cheese
- 1/4 tbsp. Oregano
- 2 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread pastry flour over kitchen counter top. Place the fresh dough onto flour and begin to shape dough into a circle using hands. Finish shaping and flattening with roller to a diameter of 13 inches.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef and italian seasoning and mix well with hands. Cook ground beef in medium-heat pan until meat is cooked; breaking the meat apart as it cooks.
- In a cast iron skillet, lightly coat the bottom with olive oil and add your rolled dough into the skillet. Form the dough onto the sides of the skillet creating a wall-like shape around the skillet. Don’t fold the dough over the edge.
- Chop your Low Moisture Mozzarella Cheese block into thick slices and place evenly along the bottom of the crust. Add your cooked and drained ground beef over the cheese in the skillet. Chop your 8 oz fresh mozzarella ball into small pieces and add on top of the beef. Add the shredded mozzarella over the ingredients evenly.
- Pour your crushed tomatoes in a bowl and use a slotted spoon to spread the crushed tomatoes evenly over the ingredients. Spread oregano over the top of the crushed tomatoes. Top off with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and lower the temperature to 400 degrees for the last 15 minutes of cook time. Once complete, allow the cool then serve.