Anything made in a cast-iron skillet always tastes great, and the same goes for this Cast Iron Italian Chicken Pizza. Made with plenty of cheese, Italian-seasoned ground chicken, and black olives, this cast iron deep dish pizza delivers all the flavor. Perfect for your next pizza night!
I have visited several great pizza cities over the years, including New York City and Chicago. It was through those experiences that I honed the art of pizza making. When you get the opportunity to taste some of the best across the country, it’s only right that you relive that experience at home.
When making pizza in a cast iron skillet , the most important part is the crust and the dough you use. It sets the foundation for the entire pizza. If the crust isn’t right, it can affect everything else. Next is the sauce, then the toppings — and fresh is always best when it comes to toppings.
There are several ways to prepare pizza, but in a cast iron skillet is my favorite. It results in a great combination of texture and taste – straight out of our oven. Using a cast iron skillet also gives the pizza more depth which is perfect for piling on those extra layers of cheese, vegetables, meats, etc.
This recipe falls right in the middle — not a traditional NY-style pizza, and not quite a Chicago deep dish pizza. It has the thinner bottom crust of the NY style and the deep center of a deep dish.
Ingredients for your Cast Iron Chicken Pizza:
- For the pizza crust: fresh pizza dough, pastry flour
- For the sauce: Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, parsley flakes
- Pizza Toppings: black olives, Monterey Jack cheese, and mozzarella cheese
Tip for Making Cast Iron Pizza
- It all starts with the dough because this is what literally keeps it all together. I purchase fresh dough from Whole Foods. Making cast iron pizza with store bought dough is the way to go.
- I use pastry flour on the counter when rolling and forming my dough. It doesn’t dry out your pizza dough and makes handling the dough a lot easier.
- I use organic pizza sauce on most of my pizzas (Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce) but feel free to use your sauce of choice. My other favorites are Don Pepino Pizza Sauce, Pastorelli Pizza Sauce, Rao’s Homemade Pizza Sauce, Pomi Pizza Sauce, and Yo Mama’s Classic Pizza Sauce
- Cook your ground chicken until the meat begins to turn white then remove from the heat to avoid overcooking. It will continue cooking in the oven.
- Once you add your dough to the cast iron skillet , load it up with all those great ingredients, then top off with cheese and olives.
- Feel free to add your favorite pizza toppings! Just ensure the toppings are not piled too high or come over the edge of the pizza dough before baking.
The heat retention of cast iron results in a perfectly crisp crust that can’t be beaten. Note: the hotter the pan, the more crisp the crust!
Give this Cast Iron Italian Chicken Pizza a spot on the dinner table for a tasty pizza night. Enjoy!Print