Some things in life can take us back in time and this recipe does just that for me. My mother was a good cook and there were certain dishes she made that brought the entire family together in no time. Today I’m sharing my spin on a childhood favorite, Classic Southern Style Meatloaf.
I can’t give away my mother’s secrets, but I will let you in on a few things I did a little different than she did. Meatloaf isn’t meatloaf without the staples of onions, breadcrumbs, and eggs, and I added grated Parmesan cheese (my twist) to slightly enhance the flavor and texture I was looking for — without overdoing it with the breadcrumbs. Also, I use Italian breadcrumbs for that extra kick of savoriness.
This is a very hands-on recipe so be ready to get your hands messy! All ingredients must be well blended to ensure an even consistency and flavor throughout. Another not-so-common approach to meatloaf is my use of whipping cream blended with eggs. The moisture and tenderness of the meatloaf is perfect and you can witness that as soon as you cut this bad boy open to enjoy. 🙂
A few cooking tips for this Classic Southern Style Meatloaf recipe…
- Remember to keep the meatloaf cook covered for the first half of the cooking time, and remove the cover for the remaining time (topping it off with Italian herb tomato sauce before placing it back into the oven).
- Adding eggs and breadcrumbs make sure the meatloaf stays together. There is nothing more disappointing than a meatloaf that falls apart. That is why it is so important to blend all ingredients well.
When you want to satisfy every palate at your dinner table give this Classic Southern Style Meatloaf a time slot on your dinner menu. You will not be disappointed! And because I use very little breadcrumbs, this is an awesome low carb recipe for those on various diets.
Pair with a side of mashed potatoes, green beans or sweet potatoes and you are ready to go!
- 2 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 2 Large Organic Eggs
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 1/2 cup White Onion Chopped
- 1 cup Green Onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Burger Spice
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Begin by adding the eggs and whipping cream into a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and set to the side.
- Chop your onions and green onions into small pieces and set to the side.
- Add ground beef into a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients except the tomato sauce set aside a handful of green onions for the topping.
- Mix the ingredients by hand until well blended then add to your baking pan while forming the meatloaf into an oval-like shape.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and bake covered for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the cover and top the meatloaf off with tomato sauce and a handful of green onions. Cook uncovered for the remaining 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven when done and allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve.