My latest experiment turned new favorite pizza is this Buffalo Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza. Sometimes I use an “experimentation” cook night to try to come up with different recipes that may or may not work. And sometimes, I hit a home run.
If I could eat pizza every day I would. So much that I could probably be the fifth turtle of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Just call me “Dudeatello”. Get it? I should stick to cooking. 🙂
My wife always harps on me because I’m always trying to incorporate (and find any excuse to use) buffalo wing sauce. With this recipe, I take the traditional flavors you would find with buffalo wings, add in some tender chicken meatballs, and bake it all — covered in cheese, of course — into a deep-dish pizza.
Making the Buffalo Chicken Meatball Pizza:
The chicken meatballs are flavorful and guaranteed to be moist. I use egg as one of the ingredients (aids in the moist and tender factor) along with fresh cilantro and Parmesan cheese.
Some people use breadcrumbs in their meatballs, but I prefer to use grated Parmesan cheese. It enhances the flavor while lowering the number of carbs.
For the cheese, I use Muenster cheese and mozzarella cheese. It helps to calm the heat from the buffalo sauce.
The glue that brings this pizza together is the buffalo pizza sauce. I create this by combining buffalo sauce with Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and heavy whipping cream.
Normally, I bake my deep-dish pizzas in a large cast-iron skillet, but I’ve found that using a springform pan creates the perfect doughy texture for the crust.
When you want a great tasting pizza for pizza night give this Buffalo Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza a spot on the menu. Enjoy!Print
A Buffalo Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza combining the traditional flavors and heat from buffalo wing sauce with tender chicken meatballs.
For the Buffalo Pizza Sauce:
- 1 cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Red Pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Butter
For the Chicken Meatballs:
- 2 lb Ground Chicken
- 1/3 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 lb Muenster Cheese Block
- 1/2 lb Low Moisture Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
For the Pizza Dough:
- 1 lb Fresh Pizza Dough
- 1/3 cup Pastry Flour
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop your Muenster cheese, mozzarella cheese block, and fresh cilantro into small pieces and set to the side.
- Pre-heat small cooking pan to medium/low heat and add butter. Once melted, add all remaining buffalo pizza sauce ingredients. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Lower heat to simmer.
- Add ground chicken and all chicken ingredients into a large bowl and mix together well with hands. Form small meatballs with the chicken mixture.
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium/high heat and cook the meatballs for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Remove from heat, cut them in half, and top with 1/2 cup of buffalo wing sauce.
- Add flour to clean counter top. Form pizza dough into a 15-inch circle. Add dough into the springform baking pan allowing the excess dough to hang over the edges of the pan.
- Add chopped mozzarella block and chopped Muenster cheese block to the bottom of the pan. Place 3/4 of the cooked chicken meatball halves over the cheese. Add 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese over the meatballs.
- Spread the buffalo pizza sauce evenly over the top of the pizza. Place remaining chicken meatball halves over the sauce. Top off with remaining 4 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the sides of the dough into the insides of the springform baking pan and place the pan onto a large flat baking pan to catch any drippings.
- Bake pizza at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then lower heat to 400 degrees to cook for another 15 minutes. Allow pizza to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving.
For the chicken meatballs: Remember to keep hands moist to help prevent the meat from sticking to your hands when forming the meatballs.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 889
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Sodium: 1097mg
- Fat: 58g
- Carbohydrates: 29.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 60.1g
- Cholesterol: 222mg
Keywords: Buffalo Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza, Buffalo Chicken Deep Dish Pizza, Deep Dish Pizza, Chicken Meatball Deep Dish Pizza