An authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe made with fresh ingredients and topped with crispy tortilla strips. This recipe has become one of my household favorites.
It’s that time of year when many of us are trying to stay out of the cold weather — and for those of us in Texas — trying to escape the one day it actually drops below 40 degrees. Haha. Regardless if you enjoy the winter weather or want to escape it, a bowl of hot soup is one of those dishes that is always right on time.
As I have been creating different types of soups, I’m starting to realize that sometimes going the simple route is a lot better. This chicken tortilla soup is easy to make and it takes a very traditional approach. Similar to the preparation you would find if you visited Mexico City; with a few small adjustments.
Making the Chicken Tortilla Soup:
In my recipe, I start with a base of chicken broth and combine that with tomato paste, onions, garlic, jalapeños, and tortillas, cut into strips and fried.
The flavor profile begins to build with fresh cilantro and chopped onions. It’s amazing what these two ingredients can do for a dish and fresh cilantro brightens any recipe. And as you know, jalapeños can be hit or miss, but if you get a spicy one the dish will have quite the kick. If not, you’ll end up with a more mild heat.
The chicken stock is the most important ingredient and I only use a tablespoon of tomato paste. You can also use fresh roasted tomatoes, but tomato paste is intensely flavored. A small dab of tomato paste adds a hit of tomato flavor to the soup without the excess liquid that comes when fresh tomatoes are used.
I save time by buying the pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and pull the meat into two cups of shredded chicken. You can also use chicken breast, but I find the shredded chicken soaks up all the flavors of the soup better.
However, if you have more time, check out my Instant Pot Whole Roasted Chicken recipe.
Topping the soup off with fried corn tortilla strips adds amazing texture. And this step only takes two minutes to cook to the perfect crispiness.
Serve with a handful of shredded cheese, chunks of avocado, the fried tortilla strips, and a dollop of sour cream and you have yourself a fantastic meal to enjoy.
This Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup is a great way to bring everyone together no matter what the weather says. Enjoy!
Looking for other tasty soup recipes? Try out my Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup!Print
An authentic (and easy) Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe made with fresh ingredients, like onion and cilantro, and topped with crispy fried tortilla strips.
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 6 Soft Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
- Sour Cream
- Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Avocado
- Begin by stacking your soft tortilla shells and cutting them into strips.
- Remove fresh cilantro leaves from stem, chop into pieces and set to side. Chop onions and jalapeno into small pieces and set to the side.
- Pre-heat cooking pan (I use an Enameled Cast Iron 5 Quart pan) to medium/high heat and add cooking oil. Cook soft tortilla strips for 2 minutes or until they begin to brown and remove from heat. Place on paper towel and allow to drain.
- Slightly lower heat to medium and add butter and chopped onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add chopped cilantro, minced garlic, jalapeno, and seasonings. Stir together then add in tomato paste.
- Add chicken stock to the cooking pan and add shredded chicken.
- Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes on medium/low heat then change heat to simmer.
- Serve soup in a bowl and top off with toppings.
You can use chilies in place of jalapenos.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 812mg
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 3.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 21.5g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
Keywords: Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Tortilla Soup, Authentic Tortilla Soup, easy soups, Mexican soup