This Creamy Tortellini Soup will knock your socks off! If you are a lover of hearty soups, this recipe will fit the bill. The myth that soup can’t be a fulfilling meal in itself gets busted when enjoying this rich, flavorful, three-cheese tortellini soup filled with fresh ingredients.
The creamy texture comes by way of a combination of chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. They provide the perfect base for the fresh tortellini pasta — a type of stuffed pasta birthed from the Italian region of Emilia. I have always had a love affair with pasta, and this recipe brings together the best of two worlds — comforting soup and tender pasta.
Plus, you just cannot beat the combination of fresh spinach, fresh garlic, fresh cheese, and just fresh ingredients in general. It really does make a difference in the end result.
Ingredients you’ll need to make tortellini soup:
- Let’s start with the tortellini pasta. I didn’t make my pasta from scratch, so I went with a fresh, refrigerated three-cheese option. There are also dried and frozen options that would work as well.
- You can choose to make this soup without any meats, but it is traditionally served with crumbled and cooked sausage. To keep it lighter, I chose to use ground turkey that I removed from the casing.
- For the base, I wanted a creamy texture that went beyond a broth. Blending low-sodium chicken stock with heavy whipping cream, fire roasted crushed tomatoes , and tomato paste worked perfectly.
- Fresh minced garlic, butter, and flour are added to enhance the flavor and thicken the soup base.
- We can’t forget the yellow onions and fresh spinach. You can also use kale.
- My seasoning combination is how I added my spin to this great dish. That includes Adams reserve white wine and garlic butter seasoning, black pepper, oregano, Himalayan salt, ground thyme, red pepper flakes, and basil.
- And to finish the dish right before serving, you can add a bit of Parmesan cheese. This is optional, but I tell you it is a good option.
How to make tortellini soup with turkey sausage:
- Chop your yellow onion into small pieces and then place it to the side for a later step.
- Cook your turkey meat for a few minutes until it is cooked through and remove it from the heat. Remove any access liquid from the pan. Add the butter, garlic, and flour stirring until it slightly binds then add in the onions.
- Cook your onions until translucent then add the tomato paste and fire roasted crushed tomatoes stirring until well combined.
- Add the fresh spinach, seasonings, chicken stock, and heavy whipping cream, and bring the pot to a boil.
- Place the tortellini pasta and cooked turkey into the pot and cover. Cook at medium heat for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Before serving, sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.
This hearty soup is the epitome of comfort food and can stand alone as a complete meal. When you want to kick it up a notch in your soup game give this Creamy Tortellini Soup a spot on your table and you will not regret it. Enjoy!Print