If you're a fan of Buffalo wings and pizza this Buffalo Chicken Calzone will bring…
There’s no secret that I absolutely love pizza and my Friday pizza nights. And sometimes I want to switch up my typical hand-tossed or deep-dish pizza and go in for the Stromboli. So, today I bring to you my version on a great pizza recipe that I truly enjoy called Ground Chicken Three-Cheese Stromboli.
Stromboli is just another way to enjoy pizza. Lots of cheese and your choice of meats are the core of the recipe. It can also be served as a rolled cold “sandwich” containing Italian cold cuts, however, my version is piping hot.
Some say this tasty take on the traditional pizza was invented by Italian Americans from Philadelphia, but whatever the origin, I’m sure all pizza lovers are grateful for the creative vision.
I chose to go with ground chicken for this recipe combined with herbs and spices like oregano, rosemary, thyme, and paprika. The resulting aroma is fantastic.
A pizza of any type isn’t a pizza without this one thing — and that is cheese and lots of it. I paired Mozzarella and Gouda cheese with a Parmesan cheese sauce to kick the cheesy up a notch. The sauce also has a bit of a kick from the red pepper flakes.
Tips when making the Ground Chicken Three-Cheese Stromboli:
You begin this recipe by forming the fresh pizza dough into a rectangular shape. Add half of your Parmesan cheese sauce initially then load on the other ingredients.
You will top that off with a handful of Gouda and Mozzarella cheese.
Spread your ground chicken evenly over the sauce and cheeses, then top off with second half of the Parmesan cheese sauce and remaining cheese.
Fold the ends of your dough like a burrito then fold over the sides to close everything in.
Quick tip: Be very careful when flipping your stuffed dough onto the baking sheet and make sure the folded sides are pinched together. Cut a few slits into the top of the dough then coat with your egg wash mixture to get that golden brown look.
This Ground Chicken Three-Cheese Stromboli is awesome for any pizza night so give this recipe a spot on your table if you want a great alternative from the norm. Enjoy!
Looking for more pizza ideas? Check out these recipes:
- Mexican Taco Pizza
- Cajun Chicken Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Pie
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Parmesan Pizza
- Italian Beef and Pepperoni Stromboli
- Florentine Pizza with a Basil Pesto Crust
A Ground Chicken Three-Cheese Stromboli filled with various cheese, herbs, spices, ground chicken, and a Parmesan cheese sauce that brings it all together.
- 1 lb Fresh Pizza Dough
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Rosemary Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 2 cup Shredded Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
For the Parmesan cheese sauce:
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Add your ground chicken into a large bowl with seasonings. Mix well with hands. Cook ground chicken for 5 to 8 minutes then remove from heat.
- Pre-heat cooking pan at medium heat. Add butter and minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add flour and cook until it thickens. Add whipping cream and sauce seasonings. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread pastry flour over kitchen counter top. Place fresh dough onto flour and shape dough into a rectangle. Flatten with roller.
- Add sauce to the pizza dough spreading evenly. Top off with 1 cup grated Gouda cheese, ground chicken, and remaining Mozzarella and Gouda cheese.
- Roll the dough up like a burrito, folding over the ends first, then rolling into a cylinder-like shape. Pinch the edges to seal. Lay the Stromboli seam side down.
- Add non-stick spray to the bottom of the baking pan and place the Stromboli on top.
- Add egg and 1 tsp of water into a small bowl and whisk. Brush Stromboli with the egg mixture and cut small slits in the top. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees and cook the Stromboli for 20 minutes.
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Oven-Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 751
- Sugar: 1.2g
- Sodium: 851mg
- Fat: 50.3g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 37.9g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
Keywords: Ground Chicken Three-Cheese Stromboli, Chicken Stromboli, Chicken Gouda Stromboli, Stromboli