When you’re in the mood for some quick and easy Tex-Mex this Chicken Fajita Bowl is a great choice! A simple layering of rice, black beans, pico de gallo, seasoned grilled chicken, and topped with fresh avocado and sour cream — perfect for lunch or dinner.
My first experience of having a Tex-Mex chicken bowl was a local restaurant here in Houston. I knew then that I wanted to recreate it as soon as I possibly could. It seemed so easy!
The fresh ingredients used in this recipe not only deliver on the flavor, but they also have several health benefits.
So let’s talk about some of the main ingredients:
- Black beans not only lower your cholesterol but they are also packed with fiber. I am a huge fan of black beans, especially when combining them with pico de gallo, rice, chicken, and most importantly cheese.
- The sliced avocado is an optional topping, but it is tough to enjoy this bowl without it. Avocados are loaded with good stuff so it only makes sense to add this to your bowl. They also loaded with heart-healthy fatty acids and help lower your cholesterol. An avocado a day is good for your health.
- By creating the fajita seasonings from scratch, you can adjust the flavors according to your preference which gives you a lot of flexibility when it comes to the seasoned chicken.
How to make a chicken fajita bowl:
- Cook your basmati Rice according to the instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, cut your avocado in half. Remove the skin and seed and cut the avocado into large slices. Place this to the side for later.
- In a small pot cook your black beans on low heat until the beans are hot and tender.
- In another small bowl, add chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, sugar, sea salt, oregano, onion powder, ground cumin, and red pepper then mix together. This will be used to season your chicken breast.
- Butterfly/split your chicken breast long ways and season the chicken breast on both sides.
- Heat your cooking pan to medium heat and olive oil and butter. Cook each chicken breast for 4 minutes on each side. Once the chicken is done, cut the chicken breast into small chunks and set it to the side.
- Now you can create your chicken fajita bowl. Layer your bowl with rice, black beans, chicken breast, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream, and sliced avocado. Now enjoy!
Combining black beans, rice, and perfectly seasoned chicken together you will find this dish to be a quick and easy dinner idea that works every time. Top your Chicken Fajita Bowl off with fresh avocado, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, cheese, or salsa to have it your way.
Here are a few more light and easy chicken recipes:
- Grilled Chicken & Vegetable Shish Kebabs
- Chicken Pesto Penne Pasta
- Sicilian Chicken & Spinach Saute
- General Tso’s Chicken & Broccoli
- Roasted Cast Iron Chicken
Chicken Fajita Bowl made with tender chicken, fresh avocado, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, cheese, or salsa to have it your way.
- 1 lb. Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 Avocado, Sliced
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp. Pico De Gallo
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Mixed Cheese
- Cook Basmati Rice according to instructions.
- While rice is cooking, cut the avocado in half and remove the shell the slice avocado into small slices. Set aside.
- In a small pot cook black beans on low heat until beans are tender.
- In a small bowl, add chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, sugar, sea salt, oregano, onion powder, ground cumin and red pepper then mix together. Cut the chicken breast long ways and season chicken breast cutlets both sides and rub seasoning onto the chicken.
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat and add 3 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter. Cook each chicken breast for 4 minutes on each side. Once the chicken in done, slice the chicken breast into small chunks and set to the side.
- Layer your serving bowl with rice, black beans, cooked chicken breast chunks, cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream and sliced avocado and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 17.7g
Keywords: chicken bowl, chicken fajita bowl, chicken rice bowl