Who doesn’t love a good cheeseburger? When I was growing up, burgers from fast food joints were sort of the norm. Not that I’m a bit older, I know there are better options — like making them myself! And my Texas Toast Double Cheeseburger is a winner any day of the week.
It all starts with the Texas Toast. I didn’t know much about this “toast” until I migrated to Texas and now I just can’t get enough of it; thick-sliced bread that tastes like an entire stick of butter has been melted right over top. And the garlic variation you can find in your grocery store freezer just takes it to the next level. The taste of butter and garlic kick starts your first bite into greatness.
I used Pepper Jack Cheese to add a little kick to go along with the awesome flavors you get from the well-seasoned all beef patties. Seasoning the beef patties is probably the most important part and second would be cooking them to the perfect temperature. I tend to prepare my burger on the medium-well side leaving just a slither of pink down the center.
Tip: Having thin patties can enhance the overall flavor (hello JUICINESS) of each bite so be sure to not make your patty too thick. Instead, stack as many as you want!
Homemade onion rings are typically served on the side, but I figured why not combine everything I love into one bite. Also, I cut the onions fairly thin as to not over power the cheeseburger. It results in a very crispy and crunchy onion ring that can be stacked perfectly. They are the cherry on top plus they add texture and additional flavor.
And last but definitely not least, please don’t forget about the sauce. After the first bite, it will be the reason your taste buds want more. When you just want a really good burger, give this Texas Toast Double Cheeseburger a try. Enjoy!
- 4 Slices Texas Toast
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 4 Slices Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Burger Spice
- For the Sauce:
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tbsp Barbeque sauce
- 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Mayo
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Begin by adding ground beef and all seasonings into a large bowl and mix together. Form thin patties and set to the side.
- Remove the outer casing of the onion. Cut the ends off and thinly slice.
- Add flour on a large plate. Combine both breadcrumbs and place them in a large baking sheet. Blend the egg with milk in a large bowl and mix together.
- Pre-heat two separate cooking pans to medium heat and add 1-inch cooking oil to one of the pans.
- Place each onion ring into the flour, then into the egg mixture, and finally into the breadcrumbs. Coat well. Fry onions in cooking oil for 2 minutes one side, and 1 minute the other, then place on paper towels.
- Cook the Texas Toast according to instructions.
- Cook each beef patty for 3 minutes on each side. Add Pepper Jack cheese slices to the cooked side once flipped.
- In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and mix well until blended.
- Build your burger by adding sauce to Texas Toast, place the cooked patties on the sauce, and top it off with onion rings and barbecue sauce. Serve hot!