I am a big breakfast-food lover so I wanted to find a way to transform the everyday bagel into something a little different — and of course something that taste great. I’ve been known to switch out my toasted wheat toast or croissant for a sliced toasted bagel when enjoying a breakfast sandwich, so I was already halfway there.
Originating in 1610 from a region in Poland, bagels were born from a technique that combines both boiling and baking to create the tasty hole-in–the-middle bread we all love today. The resulting dense and chewy texture makes bagels the perfect choice for a filling breakfast.
So why not stuff them??? My thoughts exactly. My recipe for a Stuffed Bagel Breakfast Sandwich begins with a somewhat tedious taste of removing most of the insides of the bagels. Once you get the first one done and have your technique down, you’ll move very quickly through the others. The remaining steps in the process are simple and quick; just like breakfast should be!
A few tips when removing the insides of the bagels before “stuffing” them:
- Make sure when you are removing the bread from the center of the bagel that you patiently pull the bread without digging too deep. You do not want to create a hole in the middle of the bread.
- However, remove enough of the insides that you ultimately create a “tunnel” deep enough to hold a nice amount of the egg mixture.
This dish incorporates the flavors of cilantro with parsley flakes and an egg and cream mixture. Cheese makes everything taste better and the mozzarella definitely enhances the wow factor. Feel free to go meatless (like this recipe) or add any protein of your liking. If you are a bagel lover give this Stuffed Bagel Breakfast Sandwich a time slot on your menu. I can bet a case of bagels that you will enjoy it! 🙂
- 5 Plain Bagels
- 6 Large Organic Eggs
- 1/4 cup Whipping Cream
- 8 oz. Mozzarella Shredded
- 1 tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- Begin by removing the insides of the bagel bread then set on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients except the mozzarella cheese and mix with a hand blender.
- Add a layer of cheese to bottom of each of the bagel. Pour egg mixture into each bagel half until it reaches the top edge of the bread. Add another layer of shredded mozzarella cheese to the top of the bagels.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow to cool then serve.