Unbelievably Moist Sweet Potato Muffins made from scratch that combine two layers to create one of the best muffins you’ve ever enjoyed. Perfect as a grab and go breakfast or an anytime snack!
One thing that comes to mind when you hear muffin is a quick grab-and-go breakfast when you are on the run — which is true for a lot of people; and even more, the reason why you should make them at home.
Bakery-worthy muffins from scratch are fairly simple to make and because they are so versatile, you can “fill” them with any and everything from sweet potatoes to blueberries, bananas, and walnuts. And because I really have a love for sweet potatoes, I try to find any excuse I can to bake with them as much as possible.
A family favorite, my Sweet Potato Muffins are moist, sweet, and filled with lots of brown sugar and cinnamon flavors. Yep, the good stuff. I wanted to create something that would be a quick win and this recipe is a home run. It is sweet enough for dessert but not too sweet to enjoy for breakfast.
The two layers combine into an awesome blend of sweet potato, butter, flour, and brown sugar. The first (or bottom) layer gives it a nice buttery bite and is almost like a pie crust but more tender. The top (or second) later is all about the sweet potato. If you’ve ever had my sweet potato pie, this recipe is basically that in the form of a muffin.
For a breakfast on the run, opt for these Sweet Potato Muffins. Enjoy!
Check out a few more of my tasty breakfast recipes:
- Blueberry Lemonade Belgian Waffles
- Stuffed Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
- Light & Fluffy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Buttermilk Biscuits and Turkey Gravy
Unbelievably Moist Sweet Potato Muffins makde from scratch. Perfect as a gran and go anytime snack!
Sweet Potato Mixture:
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1/4 cup Steens Pure Cane Syrup
- 3 tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 8 oz Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese
- 5 Large Organic Eggs
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Almond Extract
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Large Organic Eggs
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
- Begin by peeling the sweet potato, cutting it into large cubes and boiling for 25 minutes. Strain sweet potato pieces when done and add to a large bowl.
- Mash sweet potato pieces. Add melted butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, 2 eggs and cane syrup into bowl and mix well until smooth. Add cream cheese, vanilla extract and almond extract to bowl and blend with hand mixer until it binds. Add each of the following eggs for the sweet potato mixture one at a time while continuing to blend until smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the bottom layer, add flour, brown sugar, sugar and baking powder into a separate large bowl. Stir with large fork. Add melted butter and 2 eggs slightly scrambled into the bowl and stir until it begins to look crumbly and sticks. Sit to the side.
- Coat each of the muffins cup with butter. You can also use a muffin liner.
- Add 1 tbsp of the bottom layer crumble into each of the muffin cups and smooth the surface flat.
- Fill each of the cups with the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Once done allow to cool then serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Southern
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 13.3g
Keywords: Sweet Potato Muffins