After making this recipe for Spiced Buttermilk Pancakes, you may never use a box pancake mix again! And once you top those fluffy homemade pancakes with caramelized apples, it will seal the deal. Get ready to dig into a stack of the best pancakes you’ve ever made.
Have you ever wondered how to make pancakes from scratch? They are actually easier than you would think. Not only are they simple to make, but you probably have the ingredients you’ll need in your pantry right now.
While I’m a fan of waffles and french toast, pancakes are one of my all-time favorites for breakfast. These buttermilk pancakes are fluffy and tender on the inside and have perfectly crispy buttery edges along the rim. Everyone in your family will go crazy for these pancakes.
I’ll be honest; I was team #boxedpancakedmix for a long time. But not anymore. There is just nothing like homemade pancakes. And when it comes to buttermilk pancakes, there is no comparison. Buttermilk adds a slight tanginess to the pancakes that are balanced perfectly with those tender caramel-drenched apples. The buttermilk also makes your pancakes extra light fluffy. It’s the reason why these pancakes have a perfect texture all the way around.
Ingredients you’ll need to make these pancakes:
- We’ll break the ingredients into “wet” and “dry” as this distinction will ensure a great pancake. For the dry ingredients, you’ll need all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, Himalayan pink salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- You’ll combine buttermilk, organic egg, butter, and vanilla extract for the wet ingredients.
- For the caramelized apple sauce, you’ll need apples, butter, ground cinnamon, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and brown sugar.
Tips when making these pancakes:
- There is a reason we mix the dry and wet ingredients separately. If you overmix the batter, the result is tough pancakes, and that’s the opposite of what you want. Instead, mix your dry ingredients first and mix your wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Once you combine them, use a light hand. I use a whisk as this combines the batter quickly and doesn’t require too much mixing. In summary, be gentle. 🙂
- When you’re cooking your pancakes, you want to make sure they are ready to flip over before you actually flip them. Before flipping your pancakes, you want to look for those large bubbles that appear across the surface of the pancake. This will take 2-3 minutes at medium-high heat. Once flipped, cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes more.
- Don’t have buttermilk? No problem. You can make your own buttermilk by combining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar with 2 cups of regular milk. Set the mixture aside for 10 to 15 minutes, and it’s ready to use.
- These are great to make ahead of time for those busy mornings. Layer parchment paper in between the pancakes or place the pancakes on a parchment-lined baking sheet . You can place them in the fridge for a few days or freeze them in an airtight container or ziplock bag. To reheat, place them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
These pancakes are perfect for the Fall and really anytime. Those spiced notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla upgrade your traditional buttermilk pancakes to something new and improved. And those caramelized apples bring it all home.Print