Healthier Mushroom Rigatoni
This better-for-you version of rigatoni combines tender pasta with a creamy, but light garlic sauce (made using coconut milk) and a fresh medley of mushrooms. This vegetarian stovetop meal is a lighter version in comparison to pasta made with heavy cream. You can enjoy more of what you love with a little less guilt.
If mushrooms are high on your list, you should also check out my Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff, Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms, Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza, Korean-Style Glazed Mushrooms, and Rice and Mushroom Stuffed Bell Peppers.
This Mushroom Rigatoni pasta dish is the epitome of a classic shareable family meal. It’s perfect when placed in the middle of the dining table for a family-style event, and it’s also great for meatless Monday meals.
I am no stranger to heavy, creamy sauces. As a matter of act, you’ll find a few great recipes on this very blog. But sometimes, those pasta dishes can be so filling that we may shy away from making them. And that is where this recipe comes in. The light sauce combines fresh mushrooms, shallots, garlic, coconut milk, parmesan cheese, and few other ingredients to make a pasta recipe that is way better for you. You won’t miss the heavy cream!
Because this rigatoni is made on the stovetop and not baked with a ton more cheese, it is lighter all around. Plus, any sauce made with garlic will win me over every single time.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- It all starts with the rigatoni pasta. This tube of pasta is larger than penne pasta but tastes just as great.
- The fresh mushroom medley includes a variety of mushrooms like baby Bella and portabella. It brings a lot of earthiness to the dish.
- Instead of regular white onions, you’ll need shallots. Shallots are milder, so they won’t overpower the dish. However, the slight sweetness is a welcomed addition.
- A healthier alternative to chicken stock, vegetable stock is also loaded with flavor and will serve as the base for your sauce.
- You’ll need butter to cook your veggies, and you can’t forget about the garlic.
- I’m using coconut milk more and more. It is a great substitute for heavy cream, and you don’t lose that silky consistency in the sauce. Your sauce will also need cream of mushroom and grated parmesan cheese.
- The seasonings and herbs give everything a boost. You’ll need fresh basil, oregano, black pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes (for a little heat).
How to make mushroom rigatoni:
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook your rigatoni pasta as instructed. Drain and set to the side.
- Chop your shallots and slice your mushrooms (if not sliced already). Set them to the side.
- Heat your large saute pan to medium heat. Add your butter, garlic, and chopped shallots. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until the shallots become soft, then add in the mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, black pepper, ground thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, red pepper flakes, and chopped basil.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and cream of mushroom, then stir while bringing the sauce to a slight boil. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Add your cooked rigatoni to the sauce. Stir and allow to cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. Before serving, top with parmesan cheese (optional).
This pasta dish is loaded with flavor and gives all comfort vibes. This Mushroom Rigatoni will do the job when you want to serve your family a great wholesome meal.Print
Healthier Mushroom Rigatoni
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
A healthier vegetarian version of rigatoni combining tender pasta with a light garlic sauce (made using coconut milk) and fresh mushrooms.
- 12 oz. rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tbsp garlic
- 8 oz. Fresh Mushroom Medley
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Cream of Mushroom
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, optional
- Cook the rigatoni pasta as instructed. Drain and set to the side.
- Chop the shallots and fresh basil. Set to the side.
- Heat a large saute pan to medium heat. Add butter, garlic, and shallots. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the oregano, black pepper, ground thyme, garlic powder, sea salt, red pepper flakes, and chopped basil.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, coconut milk, and cream of mushroom. Bring the sauce to a slight boil and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Optional: Before serving, top off with parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 856mg
- Fat: 22.4g
- Carbohydrates: 41.8g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 21.3g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: Healthier Mushroom Rigatoni, Mushroom Rigatoni, Lighter Mushroom Rigatoni, vegetarian pasta