My creamy Creamy Cajun Alfredo with Chicken Sausage uses the “holy trinity” as a core ingredient, a staple of Cajun cooking made up of onion, celery, and bell pepper. This quick and easy one-pot meal gets even better when juicy chicken sausage is added into the mix.
Looking for other tasty pasta ideas? Check out my Healthier Mushroom Rigatoni, White Chicken & Spinach Lasagna Rolls, Baked Ziti with Eggplant & Chicken Sausage, or my Instant Pot Beef Ragù with Pappardelle!
Let’s take a trip down south and go to a place where Cajun flavors and creamy alfredo sauce blend in perfect harmony. As a matter of fact, I grew up enjoying a version of this recipe quite often. It was always that go-to meal that you would whip together with a few simple ingredients.
The only difference in the recipe I enjoyed back then was the type of sausage used. For my recipe, I prefer to go with chicken sausage but feel free to use your favorite. Turkey and beef sausage are great options as well.
And just like many other one-pot meals, once everything is prepped, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Now that is my kind of cooking!
Ingredients you’ll need to make this dish:
- Although egg noodles are more slippery than rice or your traditional pasta, I find this firmer noodle easier to work with and to eat. Also, you get that extra savory flavor from the addition of eggs in the dough. Egg noodles are most commonly found in a wide, loose corkscrew shape.
- The creaminess of the dish comes by way of heavy whipping cream that is seasoned with minced garlic, Creole seasoning, black pepper, dried sage, smoked paprika, and Himalayan pink salt.
- The sauce is thickened using flour, butter, and we can’t forget about the parmesan cheese.
- As as I mentioned earlier, the core of this dish is the holy trinity (white onion, celery, and bell pepper) — and I’ve expanded on those ingredients by adding red bell pepper and fresh parsley.
- At last, but not least, you’ll need smoked chicken sausage. If you can’t find it, you can easily substitute the sausage with any link sausage.
How to Make Cajun Alfredo Pasta:
- Boil the egg noodle pasta according to the instructions and set them to the side when done.
- Add butter to a large heated pan. Chop and cook your onions and peppers for 5 minutes until they become soft and the onions translucent. Chop your sausage into thin slices and add to the same pot. Stir until combined and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Move your sausage and veggies to the side and add butter and flour. Stir until it thickens.
- Add your heavy whipping cream, parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Creole seasoning, black pepper, dried sage, smoked paprika, and Himalayan pink salt to the same pan so all of those flavors infuse together. Stir occasionally for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the pre-cooked pasta and mix everything in one pan. Dinner is served!
This dish is fantastic for intimate family dinners, family gatherings, or game days. When you want to make an impression, give this one-pot Cajun Alfredo Pasta recipe a spot on your home menu, I think you will truly enjoy this meal any day of the week!