Even though I don’t get to enjoy pizza everyday, I do try to enjoy this all time favorite as much as possible! As you know by now, Friday nights are typical pizza nights in my home. Because we eat it quite frequently, I have to come up with ways to keep it both interesting and healthy (to the best of my ability). 🙂
Since my daughter doesn’t always eat her veggies willingly, that completely changes when I put cheese and pizza sauce on it! And my Veggie Lovers Pizza recipe is the perfect choice.
This pizza is really easy to make. I didn’t want to overdo it with a lot of different vegetables, so I kept it simple with red and green peppers, spinach and mushrooms. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like.
I like to cook the vegetables in garlic in order to soften the texture and to blend the flavors before sliding it in the oven. Since pizza is a constant request in my home, I want to make a pizza full of fresh ingredients and veggies whenever possible.
The kids will get a chance to reap the benefits, and since it tastes great, you don’t have to worry about them feeding it to the dog!
- 1 lb Fresh Pizza Dough
- 1 cup Organicville Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup Chopped Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup Chopped Green Pepper
- 2 oz. Fresh Spinach
- 4 oz. Fresh White Mushrooms
- 12 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Basil Flakes
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/3 cup Pastry Flour
- Begin by removing the core from the red and green peppers and cut in half. Slice in long pieces and across and set to the side.
- Pre-heat cooking pan to medium heat then add tbsp of olive oil or cooking oil of choice. Add minced garlic, mushrooms and chopped peppers then cook for 5 to 6 minutes stir occasionally and set to the side when done.
- Spread pastry flour over kitchen counter top. Place the fresh dough onto flour and begin to shape dough into a circle using hands. Finish shaping and flattening with roller then place on pizza pan.
- Spread pizza sauce evenly over the pizza dough. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and basil flakes over the sauce. Spread a hand full of the veggie mix evenly over the pizza sauce then top off with cheese. Spread the rest of the veggie mixture over the pizza.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and cook pizza for 18 to 20 minutes until crust is golden.
I lightly saute the vegetables just so they are not too crunchy. This is a personal preference so feel free to add them to your pizza without cooking them down.