This One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Orzo recipe is packed with flavor and is a perfect family meal any day of the week. Combining seasoned chicken thighs with fresh mushrooms and tender orzo pasta, you’ll have dinner on the table in around 30 minutes!
Simple one-pan chicken recipes are great because every single ingredient seems to complement the other. The flavors are infused together throughout the process resulting in an awesome meal.
What you’ll need to make this dish:
- Mushrooms are like a good point guard (for the sports fans out here). Adding them to any recipe makes everything better. If you know me by now, you know I try to find any excuse to add mushrooms into a dish. The best mushrooms for this recipe are from the wild variety (porcini, shiitake, oyster, and chanterelles), but you could also use button or cremini mushrooms for a lighter flavor.
- I have always loved pasta dishes and this orzo pasta does not disappoint. Orzo was made to resemble rice, but with a less starchy, almost slick texture — packed with protein and fiber. You can think of orzo as a big cousin to rice.
- At the base of the orzo pasta is chicken stock, whipping cream, butter (of course), white wine, onions, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. This is very similar to how I make a risotto dish, but with slightly less cream and richness to it.
- One of the secret ingredients is one that I always have a tough time pronouncing and that is the Worcestershire sauce. It adds a savory and sweet flavor with a distinctive tang.
Not only is this chicken orzo recipe hearty and full of flavor, but it has a slight kick to it as well just to add a little bite.
How to make Chicken & Mushroom Orzo:
You will begin this recipe with the chicken. Cut some of the excess skin from the skin then cut a slit into the skin to allow the seasonings to absorb into the chicken thighs.
Season both sides of the chicken thighs and sear the thigh skin-side down for five minutes then on the backside for an additional 3 minutes and remove from heat. This will help the skin crisp before placing it into the oven.
Saute the mushrooms and onions until the onions become translucent then add in the garlic.
Add the orzo pasta into the pan along with the orzo seasonings and stir for a minute. Pour in the wine, chicken stock, and Worcestershire sauce and continue to stir.
Place the chicken thighs with the skin side up on top of the orzo pasta and cover.
Bake this dish for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Once you remove the dish from the oven, remove the chicken thighs (you can place them on a separate plate) and stir in the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese. Anytime you invite garlic and Parmesan cheese to the party I will be there.
Place the chicken back into the pan and serve immediately.
This recipe will pleasantly surprise you with the amount of flavor packed in each bite and I’m sure your family will thoroughly enjoy it. So give this One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Orzo a spot on your dinner table ASAP!
If you’re looking for other one-pan meals, you might also enjoy:
- Roasted Cast Iron Chicken
- French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs
- Chicken Meatball Mac & Cheese
- Stewed Okra with Roasted Chicken Sausage
- Curry Chicken & Mushroom Risotto
This flavorful One Pan Chicken & Mushroom Orzo recipe combines chicken thighs with mushrooms and orzo pasta for dinner in around 30 minutes!
- 4 Whole Chicken Thighs
- 1.5 cup Orzo Pasta
- 2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 8 oz. Fresh Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Diced Onions
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
Chicken Thigh Seasonings:
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
One Pan Orzo Seasonings:
- 1 tbsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Thyme
- Trim the excess skin from the chicken thighs and cut a slit into the skin. Season both sides of the chicken with the chicken seasonings. Pan sear the skin side of the chicken for 5 minutes then the backside for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Remove access grease from pan then add butter, onions, minced garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the orzo pasta to the cast iron skillet and stir for 1 minute then add orzo seasonings.
- Pour in the chicken stock, white wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Combine together. Place chicken thighs back into the skillet and cover.
- Bake the skillet in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Remove chicken thighs from pan. Add whipping cream and Parmesan cheese and stir. Place chicken thighs on top of the mushroom orzo pasta.
You can remove the Crushed Red Pepper if you don’t want any heat in your dish.
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 663
- Sugar: 4.8g
- Sodium: 1084mg
- Fat: 34.6g
- Carbohydrates: 37.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
Keywords: One Pan Chicken & Mushroom Orzo, Chicken & Mushroom Orzo, Chicken & Mushroom Orzo Risotto, Mushroom Orzo, Mushroom Orzo Risotto