This One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Orzo recipe is packed with flavor and is a perfect family meal any day of the week. Combining seasoned chicken thighs with fresh mushrooms and tender orzo pasta, you’ll have dinner on the table in around 30 minutes!
Simple one-pan chicken recipes are great because every single ingredient seems to complement the other. The flavors are infused together throughout the process resulting in an awesome meal.
What you’ll need to make this dish:
- Mushrooms are like a good point guard (for the sports fans out here). Adding them to any recipe makes everything better. If you know me by now, you know I try to find any excuse to add mushrooms into a dish. The best mushrooms for this recipe are from the wild variety (porcini, shiitake, oyster, and chanterelles), but you could also use button or cremini mushrooms for a lighter flavor.
- I have always loved pasta dishes and this orzo pasta does not disappoint. Orzo was made to resemble rice, but with a less starchy, almost slick texture — packed with protein and fiber. You can think of orzo as a big cousin to rice.
- At the base of the orzo pasta is chicken stock, whipping cream, butter (of course), white wine, onions, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. This is very similar to how I make a risotto dish, but with slightly less cream and richness to it.
- One of the secret ingredients is one that I always have a tough time pronouncing and that is the Worcestershire sauce. It adds a savory and sweet flavor with a distinctive tang.
Not only is this chicken orzo recipe hearty and full of flavor, but it has a slight kick to it as well just to add a little bite.
How to make Chicken & Mushroom Orzo:
You will begin this recipe with the chicken. Cut some of the excess skin from the skin then cut a slit into the skin to allow the seasonings to absorb into the chicken thighs.
Season both sides of the chicken thighs and sear the thigh skin-side down for five minutes then on the backside for an additional 3 minutes and remove from heat. This will help the skin crisp before placing it into the oven.
Saute the mushrooms and onions until the onions become translucent then add in the garlic.
Add the orzo pasta into the pan along with the orzo seasonings and stir for a minute. Pour in the wine, chicken stock, and Worcestershire sauce and continue to stir.
Place the chicken thighs with the skin side up on top of the orzo pasta and cover.
Bake this dish for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Once you remove the dish from the oven, remove the chicken thighs (you can place them on a separate plate) and stir in the whipping cream and Parmesan cheese. Anytime you invite garlic and Parmesan cheese to the party I will be there.
Place the chicken back into the pan and serve immediately.
This recipe will pleasantly surprise you with the amount of flavor packed in each bite and I’m sure your family will thoroughly enjoy it. So give this One Pan Chicken and Mushroom Orzo a spot on your dinner table ASAP!
If you’re looking for other one-pan meals, you might also enjoy:
- Roasted Cast Iron Chicken
- French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs
- Chicken Meatball Mac & Cheese
- Stewed Okra with Roasted Chicken Sausage
- Curry Chicken & Mushroom Risotto