There are a lot of things I just can’t go without and cheese and meatballs are a few of those things. Here lately, I’ve been working on pairing dishes with whisky. French onion au jus stands out in this area and adding in smoked gouda cheese lead me to these French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs.
Even though his recipe pairs perfectly with a great scotch whisky cocktail, if you’re not pairing this with an adult beverage, you’ll still enjoy this tasty take on a meatball recipe.
Cast iron skillets are great to use especially when your recipes call for multiple cooking methods. I have many recipes where I begin my preparation on the stove and finish it off in the oven. Because I use a mini cast iron skillet, my French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs can be enjoyed alone or on date night.
Making the French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs:
- Of course, you’ll need onions. Once you slice and cook them down, you can begin to build your French onion au jus using Worcestershire, beef stock and don’t forget the wine.
- Season your beef and mix all ingredients then form your meatballs. To stuff them, stick your thumb into the meat and place a small block of Gouda cheese in the middle.
- Don’t overcook your meatballs! Be mindful of how long you cook them before flipping them over.
- Once the sauce is made and the meatballs are browned cover it all in cheese for the grand finale!
- Place your cast iron in the oven to melt all of that cheesy goodness.
If you want to do a Netflix and chill or just a night alone with a hearty meal, give my French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs a try. Enjoy!Print
The flavors of French onion soup and smoked Gouda cheese are combined to make the perfect French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs.
For the meatballs:
- 1–1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1 cup Grated Queso Cotija Cheese
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 8 oz. Smoked Gouda Cheese Block
For the French onion au jus:
- 1 White Onion
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cooking Wine
- 2 tsp Corn Starch
- 4 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 cup Cream of Mushroom
For covering the meatballs:
- 1 cup Gouda Cheese Shredded Cheese
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
- Begin by chopping your onions. Place to the side.
- Place your ground beef into a large bowl. Add egg, grated Cotija cheese, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper and salt to bowl. Blend together using hands.
- Cut your Smoked Gouda cheese block into cubes. Stuff one piece inside meat, enclose and form into meatballs.
- In a small bowl, add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, wine, corn starch, minced garlic, ground ginger and whisk together.
- Pre-heat your cast iron skillet to medium/high heat and brown your meatballs for 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat.
- Add your chopped onions to the hot cast iron and cook until translucent. Add your beef stock mixture and cook until it begins to bubble. Add your cream of mushroom. Stir until blended then add your meatballs to the pan covering with sauce. Cover with shredded cheeses.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes until cheese it melted.
The recipe makes a total of 12 meatballs — 6 in each mini cast iron skillet.
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 652
- Sodium: 917mg
- Saturated Fat: 20.2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Protein: 68g
- Cholesterol: 269mg
Keywords: French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs, Meatballs, Stuffed Meatballs, French Onion Meatballs, Cheese Stuffed Meatballs