The flavors of French onion soup and smoked Gouda cheese are combined to make the perfect French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs.
For the meatballs:
- 1–1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 Large Organic Egg
- 1 cup Grated Queso Cotija Cheese
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Salt
- 8 oz. Smoked Gouda Cheese Block
For the French onion au jus:
- 1 White Onion
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Cooking Wine
- 2 tsp Corn Starch
- 4 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 cup Cream of Mushroom
For covering the meatballs:
- 1 cup Gouda Cheese Shredded Cheese
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
- Place your ground beef into a large bowl. Add egg, grated Cotija cheese, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, black pepper, and salt to bowl. Mix together using hands.
- Cut your Smoked Gouda cheese block into cubes. Stuff one piece inside your ground beef, enclose and form into meatballs.
- Heat your cast iron skillet to medium/high heat and brown your meatballs for 2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and place to the side.
- Into the same skillet, add your chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- In a small bowl, add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, wine, corn starch, minced garlic, ground ginger, and whisk together. Add your beef stock mixture to the skillet and cook until it begins to bubble.
- Add your cream of mushroom. Stir until blended then add your meatballs back to the skillet covering with sauce. Cover with shredded cheeses.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes.
The recipe makes a total of 12 meatballs — 6 in each mini cast iron skillet .
This recipe is gluten-free as no breadcrumbs are used in making the meatballs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 652
- Sodium: 917mg
- Saturated Fat: 20.2g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Protein: 68g
- Cholesterol: 269mg
Keywords: French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs, Meatballs, Stuffed Meatballs, French Onion Meatballs, Cheese Stuffed Meatballs