Sweet Potato Fritters with Hot Buttered Rum Dipping Sauce
These fried Sweet Potato Fritters with Hot Buttered Rum Dipping Sauce will take you directly to your inner child. Small, fried nuggets of spice-flavored batter made with moist, sweet potatoes and covered with a sprinkle of powdered sugar are the perfect dessert anytime. Enjoy them as is or served alongside a warm, decadent dipping sauce infused with rum!
This post is sponsored by The Spice Hunter and includes tracking links. For more information about tracking links and how to opt out, please visit All About Do Not Track prior to clicking any links found in this post.
Sweet fritters go all the way back to the 16th century, but my first memories began at local doughnut shops. Fritters came plain, or they were filled with all types of delicious surprises, most commonly apples, but in this recipe, the sweet potato reigns supreme. Every single bite shows off the natural sweetness of the sweet potato blended with vibrant flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla via The Spice Hunter spices.
If you are a lover of doughnuts, then you can consider these fritters close cousins. These fritters are the ideal treat when you are craving something slightly sweet and simple. And because I never need an excuse to include rum in a dessert, pairing the fritters with a dipping sauce adds a little more flavor and takes it over the top…if you want it that way.
Because the fritters are not overly sweet, the Hot Butter Rum Dipping Sauce adds that missing piece for those who want to up the sweet factor. The Spice Hunters’ Hot Buttered Rum kicks things off, and when we add dark rum it’s all uphill from there.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- For the fritters, you’ll need self-rising flour, ricotta, powdered sugar, The Spice Hunter Pure Vanilla Extract, The Spice Hunter Ground Highland Harvested Saigon Cinnamon, The Spice Hunter Ground East/West Indies Nutmeg, sea salt, and eggs. The spices make these fritters Fall and Winter worthy!
- For the dipping sauce, you’ll need The Spice Hunter Hot Buttered Rum (the package itself contain flavors and spices including brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cloves, and lemon oil), The Spice Hunter Pure Vanilla Extract, butter, dark rum, and powdered sugar. The hot buttered rum turns a normal glaze into a sweet, buttery extraordinary one. Note: the dark rum in this recipe will be “cooked off,” so no worries about getting a buzz, but the flavor will not go anywhere. 🙂
How to make these sweet potato fritters:
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Place your sweet potato on a small baking sheet (paid link). Roast in the oven for 55-60 minutes until the sweet potato is tender throughout. Set it to the side when done and allow it to cool until it is cool enough to handle.
In a large bowl, add the sweet potato and mash using a potato masher (paid link). Add ricotta, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until well combined using a hand mixer (paid link). Add in your eggs one at a time, blending until the batter is smooth.
Slowly fold in your self-rising flour, being careful not to overmix.
In a large pot or deep saucepan, add corn oil (you can also use canola oil) until the oil is around 3 inches high. You want the fritters to have room to float as they are frying. Once the oil reaches 375°F, drop batter into the oil using an ice cream scoop (paid link) or medium-sized spoon. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes, flipping each fritter as each side browns. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
To make the hot buttered rum dipping sauce, add your butter to a small pot at medium-low heat. In a separate small pot, add your water and begin to bring it to a boil. You’ll allow sitting to the side as you combine your other ingredients.
Once the butter is melted, add in your dark rum, half of the powdered sugar, and the boiled water into the pot with the melted butter, constantly stirring until Hot Buttered Rum Mix and other ingredients begin to a slight bubble. Add the remaining powdered sugar and allow to cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the vanilla extract into the pot, then remove from heat.
Allow to cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar, and serve alongside your fritters. Just look at that glaze!
The easy Sweet Potato Fritters are perfect for breakfast, brunch, and as an anytime snack! And if you love sweet potatoes, you should also check out my recipes for Moist Sweet Potato Muffins, Southern Sweet Potato Pie, Mini Sweet Potato Pies, Sweet Potato Pancakes, and No-Bake Sweet Potato Cheesecake Bars.
Looking for a little cooking inspiration this season, follow The Spice Hunter on social media! And you can use my coupon code to receive 20% off your order.Print
Sweet Potato Fritters and Hot Butter Rum Sauce
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Fried nuggets of spice-flavored batter made with sweet potatoes, dusted with powdered sugar for the perfect sweet potato fritters anytime.
For the Sweet Potato Fritters:
- 1 cup sweet potato, roasted and mashed
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp The Spice Hunter Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp The Spice Hunter Ground Highland Harvested Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp The Spice Hunter Ground East/West Indies Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
For the Hot Butter Rum Sauce:
- 1 package The Spice Hunter Hot Buttered Rum
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp The Spice Hunter Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup water
For the Sweet Potato Fritters:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the sweet potato on a small baking sheet (paid link). Roast in the oven for 55-60 minutes until the sweet potato is tender throughout. Set it to the side when done and allow it to cool until it is cool enough to handle.
- In a large bowl, add the sweet potato and mash using a potato masher (paid link). Add ricotta, powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Blend until well combined using a hand mixer (paid link). Add in your eggs one at a time, blending until the batter is smooth. Fold in self-rising a little at a time. Do not overmix.
- In a deep saucepan, add the oil until it’s 3 inches deep. Once the oil reaches 375°F, drop batter into the oil using an ice cream scooper or medium-sized spoon.
- Deep fry from 2-3 minutes, flipping each fritter as it browns. Your fritter should be golden brown when done. Ensure the oil retains its temperature of 375°F in between batches.
- Remove fritters from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain.
For the Hot Buttered Rum Dipping Sauce:
- Heat a small pot to medium-low, then add butter, allowing it to melt.
- In a separate small pot, add water and bring to a boil, then set it to the side.
- Pour dark rum, 1 cup powdered sugar, and boiled water into the pot with butter and stir, bringing a slight bubble. Add hot buttered rum mix while continuing to stir.
- Once combined, add remaining powdered sugar and occasionally stir while cooking on low for 5 to 8 minutes. Add vanilla, stir to combine, then remove from heat.
You can substitute all-purpose flour for self-rising flour by adding 1½ teaspoons baking powder and ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) kosher salt to your all-purpose flour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 61.6g
- Sodium: 334mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 12.8g
- Carbohydrates: 86.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: Sweet Potato Fritters and Hot Butter Rum Sauce, Sweet Potato Fritters, Hot Butter Rum Dipping Sauce