Shish Kabob Turkey Burger
What do you get when you combine a turkey burger and a shish kabob? If you guessed a Shish Kabob Turkey Burger then you would have the correct answer! And yes, I did say shish kabob. This turkey burger recipe is perfect for any summertime cookout or gameday tailgating.
A shish kebab is made by placing pieces of meat (beef, lamb, or chicken) and chunky vegetables (green peppers, onions, and mushrooms) on a skewer and grilling it. So I’m taking that concept and transforming it into a burger — and a better-for-you version made with ground turkey.
Ground turkey can be very dry if not prepared correctly, and I can tell you that this juiciness will not disappoint. The key component to the moisture is the egg, breadcrumb, and parmesan cheese combination. When grilling anything, the smoky flavors that come from the smoke are always a nice touch.
Did I forget to mention the teriyaki sauce? The sauce will be the extra layer of flavor that will knock your taste buds out of the park!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- For the ground turkey patties, you’ll combine ground turkey, egg, grated parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, cilantro flakes, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. This combination of ingredients will ensure your turkey patties are tender and juicy.
- For the layers of vegetables and fruit, you will need pineapple slices, portabella mushrooms, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper. For the portabella mushrooms, you’ll just need the caps, and you’ll remove the gills as well.
- We can’t forget about the sauce! Soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, brown sugar, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt will be blended together. You will also need cornstarch with the same amount of water to help give the sauce the right consistency.
- Lastly, that pretzel bun will be the final piece of the puzzle. But feel free to use any burger bun you like. Make it your own!
How to make this turkey burger:
- Get your grill going first so your temperature can reach 400 degrees.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the bell peppers before slicing them. Slice the caps from the mushrooms and remove the gills from the mushroom caps.
- Add the ground turkey, grated parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, cilantro flakes, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes into a large bowl and mix. Form your patties to palm-sized, then set them to the side.
- You will then add the pineapple slices and bell peppers onto the grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side until you get a nice char. The burgers will cook on the grill for 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- For the sauce, you will need a small cooking pot. Add the soy sauce, pineapple juice, minced garlic, sesame oil, honey, brown sugar, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder to the pot on low heat until it bubbles.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate small bowl, then add to the teriyaki sauce before removing the pot from the heat.
- Build your burger with the pineapple, grilled patty, mushroom, peppers, and teriyaki sauce on the buns.
Tips & Tricks
- If you don’t have gloves when forming your turkey patties, then slightly wetting your hands will help keep the ingredients from sticking to your hands.
- If you prefer your buns toasted/grilled, you can also place them on the grill until they are slightly browned.
A juicy turkey patty topped off with grilled pineapple slices, grilled mushroom caps, and the grilled bell will have this recipe shooting to the top of your all-time favorites list. My goal with this recipe was to make a burger that was fun to make and great for everyone. Plus, the kids love the idea of having a shish kabob so transforming the concept into a burger won some cool points.
Looking for more burger recipes? You should also try my:
- Double BBQ Cheddar Burger
- Greek Lamb Burger with Tzatziki Sauce
- Texas Toast Double Cheeseburger
- Spicy Black Bean Burger
- Double Buffalo Chicken Burger
- Double Burger With Fried Cheese
- Spicy Jalapeño Double Cheese Burger
Shish Kabob Turkey Burger
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3 1x
This Shish Kabob Turkey Burger pairs juicy turkey patties with grilled vegetables and fruit for the perfect summertime meal idea.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 whole red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 whole green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 pineapple slices
- 3 portobello mushrooms caps
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp cilantro flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 whole pretzel buns
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp raw unfiltered honey
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pre-heat pellet or charcoal grill to 400 degrees.
- Cut red bell pepper and green bell pepper into large squares. Discard the core and seeds. Slice cap from portabella mushroom. Remove gills using a spoon. Set to the side.
- In a large bowl, add Honeysuckle White® ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, cilantro flakes, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Form into 3 patties and set to the side.
- Grill red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushroom caps, and pineapple slices for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until charred as desired.
- Grill turkey patties for 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- For the teriyaki sauce, add the cornstarch with an equal amount of water in a small bowl, whisk (paid link) and set to the side.
- Place buns on the grill until slightly browned.
- Add soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, brown sugar, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder to a small cooking pot on low heat. Cook until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Build your turkey burger starting with the pineapple slices, turkey patty, then veggies. Drizzle on teriyaki sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 529
- Sugar: 15.6g
- Sodium: 895mg
- Fat: 21.8g
- Carbohydrates: 40.1g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Protein: 46.8g
- Cholesterol: 177mg
Keywords: Shish Kabob Turkey Burger, turkey burger, summer burgers