Kickin’ Cheesy Sausage Dip
Most of us love a good cheese dip, not only for game time but for any time. And this Kickin’ Cheesy Sausage Dip is a perfect choice! This three-layer dip is filled with tasty surprises (like cream cheese and crushed tomatoes) and topped with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese.
Here are a few more dip recipes you can try including my Buffalo Chicken Dip, Cheesy Spinach Dip, and Hot Cajun Fish (Red Snapper) Dip.
Most Sundays, everyone knows where to find me. I’ll be in front of the television with my remote control in one hand (to switch between the games, of course), and on the other hand, I’m chowing down on a game-day snack.
And when it’s time to choose a snack or if I’m preparing to feed my crew, this dip is my go-to recipe. It’s quick and easy to whip up, takes little planning, and the result is always a crowd favorite. On top of that, sausage and cheese are the perfect pair, and who doesn’t want to dip into some cheesy, smoky goodness?
What ingredients will I need to make this dip?
- This dip’s first layer is a creamy concoction of Greek yogurt cream cheese blended with creme fraiche, eggs, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. You can think of this layer as a thin souffle. It provides a “bed” for the heavier ingredients, and the dip begins to take form as the layers are piled on.
- The second layer is all about the crushed tomatoes — with a kick. You’ll start with fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (paid link) and blend them with parmesan cheese, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- The holy trinity (bell peppers, onions, and celery), sausage, and mushroom mixture come next. Roasted chicken sausage is my favorite option and goes perfectly with this recipe. You can also use turkey sausage or any sausage rope of your choice.
- Then, it’s all topped off with a generous serving of mozzarella cheese.
- Now all you need now is to dip it with, and a toasted crostini is the way to go. Tortilla chips are also a good choice, but make sure you get the kind that is prime for dipping into heavier dips.
Tips when making sausage cheese dip:
- When you are slicing your sausage, cut them into small pieces. This is a dip, and you want to make sure each piece can fit on a crostini or chip.
- If you enjoy a little more kick with your meals, you can add as many red pepper flakes as desired to bring that heat to the forefront — and maybe even some cayenne!
- This dip is awesome with tortilla chips, toasted baguettes, crostinis, and just about anything you can dip with!
Starting with the holy trinity of peppers and onions and smoked chicken sausage makes this dish very flavorful. Then when you add the kick from the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper with all of the cheese and crushed tomatoes – this baby turns into a game-day masterpiece.
Look no further than this Kickin Cheesy Sausage Dip for your next game day gathering, or really anytime when you need something quick, easy, and downright good. You’ll spend less time preparing it and more time watching the game!Print
Kickin’ Cheesy Sausage Dip
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
Most of us love a good cheese dip, not only for game time but for any time. And this Kickin’ Cheesy Sausage Dip is a perfect choice!
- 8 oz. Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Brown Organic Egg
- 1/2 cup Creme Fraiche
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 28 oz. Fire Roasted Crusted Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 4 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Onion Chopped
- 1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1/4 cup Celery Chopped
- 13 oz. Smoked Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Begin by adding cream cheese, egg, creme fraiche, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, and garlic powder to a bowl and mix until smooth. Set to the side.
- Heat a cooking pot to medium heat and add fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (paid link), black pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, red cayenne pepper, Parmesan cheese, and oregano and stir while cooking until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- In a separate cooking pan, heat to medium heat and add olive oil. Chop and add the mushroom, onions, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, celery, and smoked chicken sausage to the pan. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes until the chicken sausage is browned, then set to the side.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese block into small chunks and set it to the side.
- In a baking dish, add the cream cheese mixture and spread across the bottom of the pan evenly. Top the cream cheese mixture with the spicy crushed tomato sauce. Add cooked pepper and sausage mixture over the crushed tomato sauce. Top off with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook dip for 20 minutes. Serve hot with toasted crostini or tortilla chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 18.1
Keywords: Chicken Sausage Cheese Dip, Chicken and Cheese Dip, Chicken Dip, Sausage Dip, Cheesy Dip
I would k me to try this but I would like to know of a substitute for smoked chicken sausage & the creme fraiche just in case I can’t find these ingrients
Hi Tina! You can substitute any sausage you like for the chicken sausage, and for the creme fraiche, sour cream will work just fine.
Amazing!! Thank you for this recipe. I know my family will love this!
Oh my goodness, this is the BEST dip ever. I made it and have had so many great comments from guests. Everyone asked for the recipe. It’s delicious. So easy to make.
Hello Cynthia! So glad you (and your guests) enjoyed the dip. I have been making this recipe for a while myself and it always does well at gatherings — and it certainly doesn’t last long!