When you want a tasty soup on any day of the week, this Creamy Chicken & Rice Soup will fit the bill. It’s creamy, rich, and savory with a well-balanced amount of heartiness, and of course, flavor.
This is not the can of soup you grew up on! LOL!
Canned soup was all I knew growing up, and while I enjoyed my fair share, it is nothing like making your own version at home. Fresh vegetables and adding various textures to your soup (like roasting your veggies or topping your soup off with a handful of sauteed mushrooms) set this soup apart from those from my past. 🙂
This soup is loaded with fresh earthy mushrooms, shredded chicken, tender rice, caramelized roasted carrots, and seasoned to perfection. Not only is this dish full of deliciousness, but it is also effortless to put together.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this soup:
- It all starts with shredded rotisserie-style chicken. I normally pick up a whole chicken from my grocer, but lately, I’ve been able to grab chicken that is already shredded. If you are so inclined to make your own roasted chicken at home, check out my Instant Pot Whole Roasted Chicken recipe.
- You can go with the white or brown rice for this recipe. Depending on how much rice you would like in your soup, you can start with 1/2 cup uncooked rice. This will equal around 1-1/2 cups of cooked rice.
- For the veggies, you’ll need carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and yellow onions. For the mushrooms, you’ll add them in your soup while it’s cooking, but you’ll also want to leave some to the side to quickly toss in butter, salt, and garlic for the finale. Roasting your carrots will enhance your soup experience as it slightly sweetens them and adds a bit of texture to the soup.
- The base of the soup uses chicken stock. Go with a low-sodium option to make this dish even better for you.
- You can’t have a creamy soup without whipping cream, and when you combine that with grated Parmesan cheese, it most definitely brings home the creaminess factor.
- And because we must season everything we eat, you’ll need Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, cilantro flakes, garlic powder, and ground cumin.
How to make chicken and rice soup:
You will begin this recipe by chopping the carrots into small slices before coating them in olive oil baking for 10 minutes and 400 degrees.
Chop your onion and celery into small pieces, then set to the side.
Pre-heat your cooking pot to medium heat, then add your butter, chopped onions, chopped celery, then cook until they become soft and translucent.
At this point, you will add the fresh mushrooms to the pot cooking them for 5 additional minutes.
Once the mushrooms cook down slightly, add the roasted carrots, shredded chicken, and chicken stock to the pot, then bring to a slight boil before lowering the heat to a lower medium heat covered for 10 minutes.
Stir in the heavy whipping cream, grated Parmesan cheese, and cooked rice. Serve immediately once the creamy ingredients are added.
This soup is hearty and perfect as a start to any meal or as a meal in itself. Enjoy!Print