Anything made with an infused simple syrup is destined for greatness — and this Rosemary & Honey Whiskey Cocktail is no different. Very similar to an Old Fashioned, this cocktail combines your favorite whiskey, bitters, and simple syrup for a tasty beverage you’re sure to enjoy.
Sure, I’m not the first to think of infusing rosemary in a cocktail, but combining those flavors with my favorite whiskey rye was an experiment that came out better than I expected!
I am a certified whiskey guy so coming up with a cocktail recipe that incorporated a spicy rye whiskey and was also simple to pull together was an opportunity I looked forward to.
Ingredients you need to make this cocktail:
- Fresh rosemary sprigs bring a lemon and pine flavor to the cocktail. Not only does it give this cocktail a boost in terms of flavor, but rosemary also improves digestion.
- Raw and unfiltered honey is also added to create the simple syrup. Honey has its own set of benefits and is a great immune booster.
- Aromatic bitters are good for cooking and making cocktails. And it’s responsible for the complexity of the cocktail. Depending on the brand and type, these alcohol-based infusions can add flavors of cinnamon, mint, fruit, spices, flowers, and herbs. You’ll only need a few drops.
How to make this cocktail:
- Let’s start with the rosemary and honey-infused simple syrup. Add your water, honey, and sugar to a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar is fully dissolved. Add your rosemary sprigs. Continue to boil for one minute, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Once done, allow it to cool, then pour into a sealed glass container. (This is more than enough for you to use for multiple cocktails.)
- To make the cocktail, pour your whiskey, rosemary simple syrup, and aromatic bitters into a cocktail glass and stir. Add a large ice cube, orange peel, and rosemary sprig for garnish.
And here are a few substitutions…
- I use rye whiskey for this recipe. Rye is known to be spicier and carries a bit of a bite in comparison to bourbon. You can also use your favorite bourbon to make this cocktail.
- Have fun with it and infuse other herbs! Mint and basil are great as well.
This is honestly one of my favorite cocktails because of the unmatched flavor. When you want to wow the crowd, give this Rosemary and Honey Whiskey Cocktail a spot, and you will not regret it. Cheers!Print