This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HeartHealthyMazola
If you love hummus, you’ll certainly enjoy avocado hummus! Creamy avocado paired with Mazola® Corn Oil, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tahini, and garlic, makes for the perfect heart-healthy snack! In support of Cholesterol Awareness Month in September, I’ll be helping to raise awareness and shining a light on why staying on top of your cardiovascular health is so important. A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, visit Mazola.com.
A strong heart starts with creating fresh and better-for-you dishes, like my Avocado Hummus — with a small twist. Instead of using olive oil, this anytime snack is made using Mazola Corn Oil.
This easy “swap” is a quick way to reduce saturated fats and cholesterol in your meals. Mazola Corn Oil has more cholesterol-blocking plant sterols than other cooking oils – four times more than extra virgin olive oil and one and a half times more than canola oil.
Now let’s dig into this cholesterol-blocking recipe!
I love snacking on hummus any day of the week and this recipe is just what the doctor ordered. There’s nothing better than indulging in some tasty and creamy hummus paired with pita chips and/or raw veggies. This avocado hummus will hit your taste buds with a slight nutty profile and a combination of sweetness and spice.
What you’ll need to make Avocado Hummus:
- Mazola Corn Oil will be used in your hummus as well as a finishing drizzle on top. This all-purpose cooking oil is a heart-healthy* choice for your family. Not only can you use it for non-cooking meals such as this one, but it’s perfect when baking, grilling, sautéing, stir-frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
- You’ll want plenty of avocados as well. This is another ingredient that you’ll use in both the recipe and as a topping. The avocado makes this hummus creamy and if you love avocado, the flavor is present in every bite.
- What is a great recipe without garlic? You can use fresh garlic; however, minced garlic or pureed garlic will work just fine.
- Tahini is a nut butter and although it looks like soft peanut butter, it doesn’t taste like it. Made from sesame seeds, tahini gives this recipe its earthy, nutty flavor.
- For your seasonings, you’ll need Himalayan salt, black pepper paprika, cumin, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes.
- And the lemon juice adds a bit of brightness to the hummus.
Now for the quick and easy steps:
You will begin this recipe by draining the water from your chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and adding them to your food processor. Pulse the beans until they break down.
Remove the skin from the avocado by slicing it in half then remove the seed. Cut your avocado halves into chunks and add them to the food processor as well.
Pour the tahini into the food processor. Add the lemon juice and minced garlic.
Slowly pour in your Mazola Corn Oil and blend all ingredients until the hummus reaches that desired creamy texture. The oil definitely enhances the flavor and creaminess of this recipe.
Pour your hummus into a large bowl and add your seasonings.
You can enjoy this snack immediately with pita chips or raw vegetables like cucumber, cherry tomatoes, carrots, red peppers, or broccoli.
This is a great time to get your cholesterol levels checked and take steps to lower it if it is high. In addition to monitoring your health, incorporate healthy snacks such as this and/or make simple changes in your recipes by using Mazola Corn Oil instead of other oils and butter.
Did you know?
The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans no longer emphasize a “low-fat” diet, but rather choosing quality, “good” fats. This includes replacing saturated fats that are known to contribute to heart disease with unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats, like those in Mazola Corn Oil. And, according to the USDA, corn oil has more than five times the amount of polyunsaturated fats compared to olive oil.
*see Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health.Print
If you love hummus, you’ll certainly enjoy avocado hummus! Creamy avocado with chickpeas, tahini, & garlic, makes for the perfect snack!
- 1/4 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 3 cups Garbanzo Beans
- 1 medium Avocado
- 3 tbsp. Tahini
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- Drain your garbanzo beans then add to the food processor.
- Remove the skin and seed from the avocado, cut them into chunks, and add to the food processor. Add the tahini, lemon juice, and garlic.
- Slowly pour the Mazola® Corn Oil into the processor and begin to blend. Continue blending until the texture becomes creamy.
- Pour blended ingredients into a large bowl and add the seasonings. Mix well.
- Serve with pita chips and vegetables.
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stir
- Cuisine: Middle East
- Calories: 565
- Sugar: 11.1g
- Sodium: 37mg
- Fat: 25.8g
- Carbohydrates: 66.6g
- Fiber: 20.6g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Avocado Hummus, Hummus
Visit Mazola.com for more recipes and information.