Now this Cajun Fried Mini Tuna Po Boy will give SpongeBob’s “krabby patties” a run for its money at the Krusty Krab. 🙂
I really wanted to share an alternative to using crab meat so I give you the Cajun Fried Mini Tuna Po Boy. If you are allergic to shellfish or just looking for a different Cajun flavor, this po-boy will make you feel as if you’ve landed in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Plus, since tuna has a lot of protein packed in, it very beneficial for any active person.
The southern fried flavors added to this dish gives this dinner (or lunch) idea two thumbs up. And my homemade remoulade sauce seals the deal.
- For the Fried Tuna:
- 20 oz. Albacore Tuna, in water
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp. Miracle Whip
- 3 tbsp. Dill Pickle Relish
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup Garlic and Herb Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- Dash Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan Pink Rock Salt (Fine Grain)
- 1/3 cup Crispy Southern Fish Fri (New Orleans Style)
- 2 Large Organic Brown Eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Parsley
- 1 cup or more Olive Oil (for cooking)
- For the Homemade Remoulade Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip
- 2 tbsp. Dill Pickle Relish
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp. Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1/4 tsp. White Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Horseradish Sauce
- 1/4 tsp. French Recipe Dijon Mustard
- Dash Red Cayenne Pepper
- Additional Items:
- 1 Pack King's Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls
- 1 Organic Tomato
- 1 Pack Shredded Lettuce
- In a large bowl, add drained tuna and break down large chunks into smaller pieces. Add Miracle Whip, dill pickle relish, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, ground mustard, paprika, garlic powder, pink rock salt, black pepper and red cayenne pepper to bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs and lightly beat until slightly smooth. Add the slightly beaten eggs to the bowl of ingredients and add breadcrumbs. Mix ingredients with hands until it begins to bind together. Begin to form the tuna mix into small to medium sized balls and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, pour in the southern fish fry and parsley, then mix.
- Pre-heat pan to medium-high heat and add olive oil to heated pan. Roll each formed tuna ball around in the southern fish fry mix until completely covered and add to heated pan.
- Each tuna ball should cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned on each side. You will need to flip the tuna balls every 2 minutes or so to make sure it cooks evenly. Once cooked set to the side to cool.
For the Homemade Remoulade Sauce:
- In a bowl, add Miracle Whip, dill pickle relish, lemon juice, ketchup, Louisiana hot sauce, Creole seasoning, white ground pepper, horseradish, Dijon mustard, paprika and red pepper, then stir until well blended.
- Add mini subs to serving plate, place shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes, top with fried tuna balls and remoulade sauce, and serve.