Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
Perfect as a main dish or a side, this Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto is a tasty upgrade to the traditional risotto. Mildly sweet and nutty butternut squash is roasted to bring out its flavors and buttery texture. Pair that with quick and easy Success Rice, and you have a delicious holiday meal.
This post has been written in partnership with Success Rice. All opinions are mine alone.
This recipe takes me back to when I would get in trouble for not eating my vegetables at dinner — or school (yes, times are different now). I used to absolutely despise squash of any kind, but oh, how times have changed.
A little about butternut squash…
The slightly sweet and nutty flavor profile you get from butternut squash makes this vegetable very versatile. And its texture reminds me somewhat of sweet potatoes (versus other kinds of squash), although a tad creamier. It’s an essential fall side dish that only gets better when it’s roasted to caramelized perfection.
Did you know? Butternut squash is also loaded with vitamins, calcium, and zinc? Great health benefits and great taste. You can’t beat that.
This veggie can be enjoyed alone or added to salads, soups, and pasta dishes, which brings me to why I team the buttery squash with Success Rice to create an easy and awesome risotto recipe. This Northern Italian dish was created by cooking rice in broth and cream. Typical risotto recipes consist of butter, white wine, and of course, Parmesan cheese.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this risotto:
- Success Boil-in-Bag White Rice. Normally you would incorporate uncooked rice, but Success Rice makes this recipe a lot easier to make in a short amount of time.
- In addition to the rice, you need parmesan cheese, butter, chicken stock, and heavy cream to create that wonderful creaminess you find in risotto.
- You can never have too much garlic and onions in any dish.
- For the seasonings and herbs, you’ll need garlic powder, basil flakes, black pepper, ground thyme, Himalayan salt, ground ginger, and ground turmeric.
- You’ll need organic butternut squash, ground nutmeg, garlic powder, and Himalayan Salt for the roasted butternut squash. The small amount of nutmeg brightens the squash and brings out its sweetness even more. You can either purchase pre-cut butternut squash, or you can purchase a whole one.
How to make butternut squash risotto:
- If you purchased a whole butternut squash, cut the ends from the squash, peel away the exterior rind, scoop the seeds and flesh from the center, and chop into medium-sized cubes.
- Place your butternut squash into a large bowl and season with nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, and olive oil, mixing until coated evenly.
- Place your butternut squash on a non-stick baking sheet (paid link) and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes stirring halfway through the cooking time. While the butternut squash is baking, boil two bags of Success Rice Boil-in-Bag white rice as instructed, then it set to the side once done.
- Chop your onion into small pieces, then add 2 tablespoons of the butter, garlic, and onions in a cooking pan at medium heat. Once the onions become translucent, stir in the roasted butternut squash, cooked rice, chicken stock, whipping cream, and remaining seasonings. Lower to heat to medium-low, cover, and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fold in your Parmesan cheese and remaining melted butter.
This recipe will be ready in no time, and it will not disappoint! So, add this Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto recipe to your next meal plan or upcoming dinner plans for an impressive meal full of flavor.Print
Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Perfect as a main dish or side, this Butternut Squash Risotto adds the caramelized, buttery, and nutty flavors of roasted butternut squash.
- 2 Bags Success Boil-in-Bag White Rice
- 1 cup Diced Onions
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Basil Flakes
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Turmeric
For the Butternut Squash:
- 2 lb. Organic Butternut Squash, cubed
- 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- If the butternut squash isn’t bought pre-cut, cut the ends of the butternut squash, remove the rind, scoop out the seeds and flesh, and cut into cubes.
- Place squash into a large bowl and coated evenly with nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, and olive oil. Place on a baking sheet (paid link) and bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes tossing halfway through cooking time.
- While squash is baking, boil two bags of Success Rice as instructed. Set to the side once done.
- Chop onions into small pieces. Add butter, minced garlic, and onions to a deep cooking pan at medium heat. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Stir in roasted butternut squash, cooked rice, heavy whipping cream, chicken stock, and remaining seasonings into the pan and slightly lower heat to medium/low. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Fold in remaining butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Comfort Food
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 467
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 1179mg
- Fat: 21.6g
- Carbohydrates: 59.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
Keywords: Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto, Butternut Squash Risotto, Roasted Butternut Squash, Risotto
I made this and it didn’t turn out quite as dark as the picture even though I added a bit more turmeric but it is absolutely delicious!!! ❤️
Hi Caroline! Glad you enjoyed it! (The risotto may appear a little darker due to the lighting during our photography shoot :-))