A twist on the traditional Tres Leches, this coconut version is made with sponge cake soaked in three kinds of milk and layered with fluffy coconut whipped cream and sweetened toasted coconut flakes.
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp coconut extract, divided
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 10 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line a baking sheet (paid link) with parchment paper. Place coconut flakes evenly on the baking sheet (paid link). Place the baking sheet (paid link) in the oven and toast for 3 minutes until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish (paid link). Set up three mixing bowls.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Separate the eggs into two medium bowls.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks. Mix. Stir in milk and 1 ½ tsp coconut extract. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir gently just until combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Using a hand mixer (paid link), beat the egg whites. As stiff peaks form, gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter with a spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the casserole dish (paid link). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Poke holes in the top of the cake with a large fork or chopsticks.
- Combine the coconut milk, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and ½ tsp coconut extract in a large bowl. Whisk (paid link) until combined. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake evenly. Refrigerate the cake for at least 3 hours to overnight, allow the cake to soak up the milk.
- Combine the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip until thick and creamy. Spread topping over the cake and layer with toasted coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Calories: 741
- Sugar: 55.2g
- Sodium: 284mg
- Fat: 47.6g
- Carbohydrates: 71.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Cholesterol: 214mg
Keywords: Easy Tres Leches Cake, Coconut Tres Leches Cake, Tres Leches Cake, Coconut Tres Leches