This decadent Salted Chocolate Bread Pudding combines challah bread, rich chocolate custard, & sea salt for a dessert fit for chocolate lovers!
- 1 lb. Challah Bread Loaf
- 8 tbsp. Butter
- 14 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 cups Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Large Organic Eggs
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Cut the challah bread into cubes then set to the side.
- Add butter and 12 oz. chocolate chips (save 2 oz. for later step*) to a warm pot on low heat and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine evaporated milk, sugar, brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric, and eggs. Mix together until smooth. Combine this mixture into the melted chocolate until blended.
- Add bread cubes into a casserole dish. Add a few chocolate chips in between the bread cubes. Cover evenly with the chocolate custard. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before baking, add additional chocolate chips over the top of the dish. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle sea salt evenly over the top of the dish and allow the cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Place 1 oz. of your chocolate chips in between the bread cubes before pouring on the chocolate custard. Also before baking, you can sprinkle 1 oz. chocolate chips on top.
This salt is really just a finisher and is used to brighten the chocolate a bit. One 1 tsp. sprinkled over the entire casserole should plenty.
I used a 9×13 baking dish in this recipe, but a 9×12 baking dish will work just fine.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 813
- Sugar: 74g
- Sodium: 667mg
- Fat: 36.9g
- Carbohydrates: 103.4g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Cholesterol: 160mg
Keywords: Salted Chocolate Bread Pudding, Chocolate Bread Pudding, Bread Pudding